If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Fight or Fade Away?

Despite the fact that I haven't really played poker in a long while, I found thoughts of the game creeping into mind as I drove to work today.

I've started toying with the idea of playing some super cheap online poker. I don't think I've got the poker chops to compete with anyone playing poker regularly anymore. But maybe I still have enough skills to beat the sub-$5 sit-n-gos, tournaments, and cash games. Then again, do I have the patience or dedication to play poker at such low stakes when I've got a huge library of video games sitting at home?

I'm not saying I'm back to poker: I'm pretty damned far from making a statement even resembling that fact. I'm just surprised that I started thinking about poker at 8:05 AM this morning. When I think about the game itself, there is a part of me that wishes to grab a seat and start slinging chips. But when I recall the grind, the difficulty of the game, my inability to win any significant monies, and the poor attitude of online poker players, my desire to play quickly fades away.

I just wish I had a crystal ball and could take a quick look at the state of online poker 10 or 20 years from now. If I felt that the work I put in today would pay off in the end, I might be encouraged. The UIGEA really took the wind out of my sails. What's the point of studying a game that few will be playing down the road? I'll never be one of the best players around. Without good online traffic and a steady influx of fish, it's hard to see the point of playing poker at all.

That's all I'm going to say for now. I'm not even sure what will happen with this site if I continue to ignore online poker. It's always a sad state of affairs to see a once thriving site fade away to become nothing more than a insignificant blip in one's memory...

No comments: