If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

T. I. L. T.

Things have certainly been a little rough to start out the month of February. A scant two days after I finally manage to get my $1/$2 6-max limit hold'em results out of the red, I now find myself back where I started. That's the frustrating thing about poker. You think you've got things figured out. You think you know how to beat the games.

But while you've raked in pot after pot, your opponents have been content to sit back and wait for their chance. And then it's their turn to hit two pair on the river. They get bold and start raising your turn bets. They figure out that your checks on scary river cards are a golden opportunity for a steal.

And so the game goes on. Win some, lose some. If it wasn't for PokerStars' VIP program, I'd be really discouraged. But I'm slowly working my way towards another $250 gift certificate by year's end. I'm earning Stellar Reward bonuses and clearing reload bonuses. And I keep hammering away at the tables, hoping that my "A-Ha" moment is coming.

I'll be away for the next few days. My wife and I are celebrating are wedding anniversary this weekend so I'll be taking it a little slowly at the tables. And to help with tilt, which I can feel brewing in my gut and readying to smash my bankroll to pieces, I've gone on a bit of spending spree.

While most people consider poker a guilty pleasure, video games are my weakness. They waste time and do nothing to make me a better person, father, or husband. But tilt is tilt and when poker's not going well, it's nice to remind myself that there are other hobbies out there that don't require hours of study and concentration.

I bought a couple classic games online and have also put in a request with a friend to borrow a couple more recent blockbuster titles:

None of these games will be available to me before next week. That should give me plenty of time to turn things around at the tables.

Now don't get me wrong: I still plan on clearing my 1,000 VPPs per month at Stars. Of course, I'll likely put in many more poker hours when things are going well. But 1,000 VPPs is my bare-bones minimum. A few ups and downs in my bankroll aren't enough to alter my goals for the year. I just under-estimated the importance of having another form of entertainment to fall back on when things get a little frustrating at the tables. And man oh man, things can certainly get frustrating...

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Happy Anniversary.

Klopzi said...

@Memphis -

Thanks very much!