If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Shared Session at Stars

I set up TeamViewer on my laptop last night. My plans were to play a session at Stars with a friend looking on and commenting on my play. My friend's a much better player than I am - especially at no-limit hold'em. Over the course of about 360 hands, I dropped about a third of a buy-in. I got a little lucky when I needed it. And, as usual, I got quite unlucky whenever I found myself all-in.

For some reason or another, I've had a real tough time when the cards get turned over. I'll sit with some of the worst players you'll find. I'll pick up a hand that figures to be way ahead of a Villain's range. And then I'll get shown that my opponent was holding one of his/her top three possible hands in a particular situation. Pretty sick and a little tilt-inducing to say the least.

A few fun situations came up in my quest to get my money in bad:

  • Defended BB with a 3-bet against the SB's steal attempt. SB, a Stars SuperNova VIP player, 4-bet shoved and I snap called with QQ. SB showed AK and took it down with a flopped pair.

  • Shorty (20 BB) min-raises on the button and I shove from the BB with KJ. I get pwned by AK.

  • Three limpers, I raise on button with TT. Everyone folds to the bad player on my right who re-raises. He's short and I can't think that every limp-reraise from a terrible player is AA. I shove, Villain snap-calls and shows AA.

  • Button limps and I raise from BB with AK. Flop comes 753. I c-bet and button calls. Turn is a 2. Villain has just slightly over a pot-sized bet left so I shove. I think my fold equity coupled with a likely 10 outs has me in a good +EV spot. Villain snap calls and shows 7♠5♠.

Of course, the joke was on the Villain in that last hand. I spiked the gut-shot on the river and took down the pot!

Plans for tonight include three-tabling the $0.50/$1 SHFL games at Stars (144 VPP away from Silver Star) and taking a look at my new PokerStars-branded Copag cards. It seems that Stars was able to get them out to me just in time for my home game on Friday night!

I may also look for a new screen sharing application. TeamViewer failed to impress us last night. I think my friend's connection froze up eight times over our hour and a half poker session. If anyone knows of some good free screen-sharing apps, feel free to leave a comment.

Have a good one!

4 comments:

The Poker Meister said...

Some quick comments on your 4 HHs:

# Defended BB with a 3-bet against the SB's steal attempt. SB, a Stars SuperNova VIP player, 4-bet shoved and I snap called with QQ. SB showed AK and took it down with a flopped pair.
Not to generalize, but if this villain is a SuperNova, he generally knows what he's doing. A 4 bet shove smacks of strength - it is generally a bad idea for you to be calling with QQ or anything other than AA or KK. A 4bet shove is usually one of 2 (and sometimes 3) hands, as evidenced. With QQ, you are WAY behind 2 of 3 and 50/50 with the 3rd. I get that you were defending a steal, but 4 bet shove puts V on a polarized air / monster and I err on monster nearly 100% of the time - PARTICULARLY against a Nova!!! Treat it as a lesson learned. Don't know stack sizes, but I'm assuming you had 100BBs, which is a terrible move to risk ~80BBs (after 3bet) on QQ which has a 66%+ chance of domination.

# Shorty (20 BB) min-raises on the button and I shove from the BB with KJ. I get pwned by AK.
Shorties suck. FT just implemented a min buy in for their regular tables of 35BBs, as well as a shallow stack table. SSers are the bane of everyone's existance. A lot of times, your KJ will force a fold from the aggressor shorty on the BTN.

# Three limpers, I raise on button with TT. Everyone folds to the bad player on my right who re-raises. He's short and I can't think that every limp-reraise from a terrible player is AA. I shove, Villain snap-calls and shows AA.
Don't really know the situation from your description, but see above 2 comments which are mixed applicable
# Button limps and I raise from BB with AK. Flop comes 753. I c-bet and button calls. Turn is a 2. Villain has just slightly over a pot-sized bet left so I shove. I think my fold equity coupled with a likely 10 outs has me in a good +EV spot. Villain snap calls and shows 7♠5♠.
Don't care that you sucked out; you overplayed AK on the turn and got lucky. Not that you're going to be able to put him on 75s, but any pair crushes your AK high.

Klopzi said...

@Meister -

It's funny - I'd fold QQ in this spot against an unknown. But I was assuming that a SuperNova player's steal range would be pretty wide in this spot. I figured Villain might 4-bet a slightly wider range. At least I got my money in good.

With the KJ hand, I was just looking to push the shorty around. I've found, in my limited experience, that short-stackers at $25 NL are terrible. I can expect Villain to stack off with worse, I think.

As for the AK hand, I don't really mind my play. I get a lot of folds there against a many opponents. NOw - do $25 NL players fold pairs to overbet shoves on the turn? Don't know. But if Villain has some sort of draw, my AK stands to be ahead. Nut no-pair FTW.

But judging from your comments, I'd venture a guess that there are a lot of nut peddlers at $25 NL. We'll see how things turn out over the next few months.

The Poker Meister said...

As far as nut peddlers are concerned: You can see right away who is a nuts kinda guy and who is a thin guy. PT3 pretty much spells it out; and you can check the W$SD for the details, but it's pretty clear who's showing the goods.

Klopzi said...

I'm not sure how many thin value bets occur at $25 NL. I find that most people who make thin value bets at the micro-stakes are actually just turning their mediocre made-hands into bluffs.

Thanks for all the comments!