If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Not My Finest Hour

Sorry for the lack of posts over the past few days. Unfortunately, I was attending a funeral and discussing poker exploits didn't seem terribly important. In any case, I'm back now and ready to continue my education at the tables.

A couple of nights ago, I was playing a few tables of $1/$2 SHFL at Full Tilt. I've found that I can handle three tables without losing too much value. Or, at least, that's what I thought until this hand came about...

Full Tilt Poker $1/$2 Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 503808
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is BB with K of spades J of hearts
1 fold, CO calls, 1 fold, SB calls, Hero checks

Flop: (3 SB) Q of diamonds T of spades 7 of clubs (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB calls, Hero calls

Turn: (3 BB) 7 of spades (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB calls, Hero calls

River: (6 BB) A of diamonds (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, SB folds, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, Hero folds

Final Pot: 10 BB
CO wins 9.5 BB
(Rake: $1.00)

Yep - I folded the nuts on the river. I never expected the Villain to three-bet me on the river. I'd turned my focus away to another couple of tables beeping for my attention. I only realized a half-second too late that the action was back on me. I clicked the empty space where the Raise button had been only moments before and was forced to watch the pot slide to my opponent.

I'm going to look at this hand as a costly lesson in multi-tabling and river play.
  1. When playing Speed tables at Full Tilt, remember that you'd better be ready to act when you've got a hand that you're planning on playing.

  2. When you're invested in a pot after the flop, try not to let your attention stray too far.

  3. Never assume that your opponent will act a certain way; be prepared to handle the unexpected in timely fashion.

  4. Don't fold the nuts on the river.

  5. When something bad happens at the table, the most important thing to do is put it out of your mind. A pot lost through poor play or sheer stupidity is gone. All you can do is focus on the next hand.

It was a tough lesson to learn but I managed to keep my game together. Despite dropping this one pot in stupid fashion, I was able to keep playing well enough to pull off a solid win by the end of my session.

Of course, I almost folded another nut hand on the river later in my session as well. I rivered a gut-shot straight draw when my opponent checked through on the turn. I timed out and Full Tilt's software sat me out. Thankfully, my opponent checked behind and I was awarded the pot. I'm really going to pay attention to the Speed tables when I play tomorrow night.

Have a good one!

4 comments:

The Poker Meister said...

LOL Lesson 4. Been there, done that. It happens. Pretty crappy.

Memphis MOJO said...

clicked the empty space where the Raise button had been only moments before and was forced to watch the pot slide to my opponent.

Ouch, sorry to hear.

Klopzi said...

@Meister -

Yes indeed. I hate folding the nuts. Did it again tonight unfortunately. Different circumstances, mind you, but same result.

Klopzi said...

@Memphis -

Thanks. I'm getting old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be...