If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Crash!

There's nothing quite like attempting data recovery on a crashed hard drive. I ordered a replacement hard drive for my wife's laptop - a 250 GB 7200 RPM Seagate drive. I got a great price on the thing (i.e. cost me less than an automatic card shuffler in Canada). So what am I doing posting right now?

The new hard drive is installed in my wife's laptop. The hard drive swap took a few minutes to pull off. Now I'm in the middle of the hard part of tonight's notebook computer repair procedure: attempting to retrieve data from the hopelessly crashed hard drive. I've got the old drive plugged into a the world's cheapest external hard drive enclosure. In the enclosure's included printed manual, the term "whop" is used instead of "swap" and the word "you" is spelled "u". Good stuff.

I'm currently trying out various data recovery software demos until I found one that can find and retrieve my wife's lost data. The first couple that I tried did nothing but the one running right now holds some promise. If I can get this done in a reasonable amount of time, I should be able to jump onto Stars for a session later this evening.

I'm thinking of playing $25 NLHE again. A friend lent me his personal checklist to beating micro-stakes no-limit hold'em ($50 NLHE and lower). I'd post his checklist for the benefit of my readers but my friend has asked that I keep it a secret. I agreed to keep my mouth shut because I'd rather keep the $50 NLHE games a little easier even if it means giving up a potential spike in this site's visitors.

I just took a look at the data recovery tool and it's telling me that the recovery process will take five hours. That's a long time. Guess it's going to be a late night for me...

Oh well, more time for poker! Have a good one!

2 comments:

joxum said...

"In the enclosure's included printed manual, the term "whop" is used instead of "swap" and the word "you" is spelled "u". Good stuff."

Funny! I should probably begin to read manuals, I guess :D

Klopzi said...

I think the HD enclosure manual is probably the first technical manual that I've ever read cover to cover.

I even re-read it aloud for my wife to hear. It's one of the funniest things I've read in a while (anything's funny compared to a Sklansky theory book).