If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Those who fight donkeys...

You ever have one of those nights where your good play gets punished and your bad play gets rewarded? That's exactly what happened last night. I guess it's only fair that I suck out every so often. It still feels dirty and cheap to me.

In one hand of note, I managed to spike a three-outer to pull ahead in an AQ vs. QQ match-up. I raised my AQ from UTG and got re-popped by an active player in the big blind. I only had five hands on the Villain at this time (80/50/3.0). I decided not to cap pre-flop in the hopes of inducing further post-flop bets from my opponent. Flop was all rags and I floated my opponent's flop bet. I was planning on showing down my ace high. The ace on the turn gave me top pair. I decided to flat Villain's turn bet and pop the river instead when Villain fired his third barrel at the pot. He made a crying call with his QQ.

I played one hand semi-terribly, I think, at the same table a couple of hands later. A seemingly TAG-ish player (23/20/2.3 over 7 hands) raised from the cut-off and I call 3-bet pocket Jacks from the small blind. Flop came K♥ 9♥ 9♣ and I made a standard c-bet and Villain called. Turn was an offsuit ten and I had a choice: bet to protect against a possible flush draw or go into check-call mode. I decided to bet out and got instantly raised.

I honestly didn't know what to do in this spot. I didn't think the Villain was bluffing. He would have probably semi-bluff raised the flop with a reasonable draw - though I'm still not too sure how (potentially) solid players play at the micro-stakes. I thought that maybe the ten had helped the Villain - maybe a hand like AT, QT, or JT? Of course, a slow-played 9x hand was also possible.

After a few seconds, I decided to call the raise. My plan was to fold on the river unless I hit my set (check-call the river) or my gut-shot straight (check-raise the river). I was getting about 6:1 on my call but figured I'd get at least one more bet on the river from the Villain. I love how math can justify a loose call.

My question: do you like the bet out on the turn or do you go into check-call mode? When raised, how do you respond without solid reads on your opponent? Do you fold on the river if you miss your six-outer or do you call with second pair in a heads-up pot on paired and draw heavy board?

In any case, the river the offsuit Queen. I checked to the Villain and he bet out. As planned, I check-raised, Villain called, and showed a turned two-pair (Kings and Tens).

My limit hold'em game is still a work in progress. I've said it before and I'll say it again: poker's a tough, tough game. But I'm not ready to muck my cards just yet...

No comments: