If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Poker Goals: 2010 Edition

I'm not sure how many more poker sessions I'll put in before this year's up. I took a quick look at my overall results for 2009 last night after another losing limit hold'em session. Without going into detail, I can say that 2009 has been my worst year in poker. I probably dropped between 20% - 25% of my working bankroll at the tables.

I won't blame the games getting harder for my awful year in poker. At the stakes I play, the games are just as juicy as they've been in the past. I believe that I just didn't play enough poker. I jumped around from game to game to game and never really focused. I'd hit a small losing streak and put poker aside to pursue other interests. The time away did me some good psychologically but the lack of playing time really hurt my overall poker ability. It's hard to beat even the fishiest of players when you're not playing enough poker to improve your game.

I think I can set my poker goals for 2010 right now. There's no point in waiting a couple days to reveal my "big plan". I have only two goals for next year:

  1. Play more poker.
  2. Work hard to improve my results across all games that I've played.

I'll likely focus on limit hold'em, no-limit hold'em, and Omaha/8 for most of 2010. These were my biggest losers in 2009. If I can average as few as 5,000 hands a month, I think I'll see a marked difference in my results. I'll need to keep studying the game away from the tables. But I need to actually play. I need to put myself in both standard and difficult situations and make consistent winning plays.

The one thing that should help me become a better poker player in 2010 is my waning interest in video games. There isn't a single new game coming out next year that I plan on playing. Many of the games that I'd planned on playing have strayed too far from my expectations in terms of game design and content. I think video games are an interesting medium but the industry has moved in a direction opposite to what I expected. I hope that this shift in how I spend my free time will improve my poker game enough to help me turn things around.

If the UIGEA doesn't ruin online poker next year and if I can put in enough time at the tables, 2010 could be a great year for me in terms of my growth as a poker player. It would be nice to post a few more wins and get back some of the confidence that I lost this past year.

Have a safe and happy New Year! I'll back next week with a full recap of my 2009 year in poker.

4 comments:

joxum said...

Happy New Year to you and good luck in 2010.

/j.

Dominic said...

Hi

I would very much like to help you with some coaching lessons if you're interested.

I'm looking to get more exposure for my heads up sit and go course and would coach you for free for an honest review.

All of my students are beating the games as of now, some more so than others but all of them started with me as losing players.

My site is Poker training if you would like to see some of my coaching in action.

I'm very serious about this and am confident that I could help you out.

Kind regards

Dominic

Klopzi said...

@joxum -

Thanks - you too!

Klopzi said...

@Dominic -

Thank you very much for the offer for free coaching. At the moment, I'm not planning on playing any heads-up sit n' gos in the near future. I will be looking into heads-up cash games later this year.

If you send me details (admin@klopzi.com) concerning your HUSNG coaching (how it works, what you expect from your students, standard "curriculum", etc.), I may take you up on your offer. I could always use some help with my game.

Thanks and Happy New Year!