If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I hope everyone out there is ready for the holidays. The Christmas season has always been my favourite time of the year. No amount of hassle or familial obligations can dampen my spirits once Christmas carols and the smell of cookies and turkey fill the air. Of course, it's very easy for me to enjoy Christmas with my wife tackling the lion's share of the work in December.

I've got some presents to wrap tonight. My wife handled the purchasing and wrapping of all the presents save for the ones I got for her. I'll see if my clumsy fingers can put together a reasonable job wrapping her gifts that I've got hidden throughout the house. Some of the gifts will be a little awkward to cover in paper. Maybe I'll go with the "big bow without wrapping paper" look...? I've seen this done with big ticket items like cars and big-screen TVs; it might serve my wife's presents equally well. I'm just looking forward to getting the gifts under the tree, kicking back with a drink, and waiting for Santa to arrive.

Christmas preparations aside, I've yet to play any poker this week. Between hosting parties, shopping, and wrapping, there's been very little time to relax. If I'm not too tired, I may sit down at a couple limit hold'em tables tonight. I've not given up on my challenge to improve my recorded Poker Tracker results. But that's a long-term goal and not something that can be accomplished overnight. I've been reading and re-reading Limit Hold'em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies and watching a ton of DeucesCracked videos to improve my limit hold'em game. I just need to get some more practice at the tables. And a sudden winning streak would make a terrific Christmas gift.

I was just speaking with a friend about the difficulties in beating the rake at any low-stakes online poker games. It's a little sick when you stop to think about it. A losing player at $0.50/$1 limit hold'em could be a potential break-even or slightly winning player at $5/$10 given a modicum of skill and the bankroll to take a shot. I have the bankroll to play much higher than I do. What I lack is the drive, the clarity of thought, and the heart to make it happen. I'd say 2010 will be my year but I'll keep my outlook on the pessimistic side until I've seen some form of improvement in my overall poker game.

In other news, I've finally decided what I'll be buying with my $250 FutureShop gift certificate. My original plans were to get video games, movies, and other crap. But I don't really need any of that stuff. I'll buy some video editing software and a huge external hard drive instead. I've got a stack of miniDV tapes full of video of my kids and family that need to be edited and saved. I don't have much free time though I should be able play poker while converting and burning these memories to DVD.

My plans for the Christmas holiday season can be summed up in the following list:

  • Spend time with my wife, my kids, and the rest of my family.
  • Eat lots of delicious food - tourtière, turkey, and desserts - and gain a little too much weight.
  • Play a little poker and try to finish off 2009 with some solid play and (hopefully) good results.
  • Enjoy some time with Borderlands and my Playstation 3.
  • Relax...

Over the next week, I'll update my poker results summary but I'll probably not post anything else of substance. I'll be back in the New Year with a look back at what was easily my worst year for poker. I'll also have the obligatory "New Year's Goals and Resolutions" post as well.

I wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Enjoy this holiday season with your friends and families!

3 comments:

joxum said...

Merry Yuletide to you!

/j.

Memphis MOJO said...

Happy holidays to you, too.

Klopzi said...

@Joxum, @Memphis -

Thanks very much!