If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

What's Old is New Again

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I didn't play quite as much poker as I anticipated. I did squeeze in a fairly good session on Saturday night and things went well. I bookmarked a few hands that I wanted to post but forgot to copy them from Poker Tracker. If memory serves, I think one hand was a standard bad beat and a few others were of the "what the hell was my opponent thinking?" variety.

Most of my weekend was spent just relaxing and playing Uncharted 2 on my PS3. I finished the game so I can now focus a little more on poker. On that note, I've decided to jump back up the $1/$2 6-max LHE games. I'm starting to get a feel for the game again and don't really want to spend any more time at the $0.50/$1 games. It's not that I'm too good to play at those stakes. I just don't like the almost absurd rake coming out of those games. The rake will still be terrible at $1/$2 but I'm hoping it won't hurt quite as much.

I hope that I'm good enough to stay afloat at the $1/$2 games. I think the stakes are low enough that I'll still spend most of my time playing against casual players looking to gamble it up with the last of their dwindling bankrolls. I plan on putting in at least 10,000 hands at the $1/$2 games before I make any further decisions about moving up or down in tables stakes. I'd really like to get back to the $3/$6 games by early to mid 2010. I had a ton of fun playing $3/$6 limit hold'em around the time that my first son was born. I'm just not crazy enough to give the games a try without building up my game and confidence at the $1/$2 and $2/$4 games.

In other news, I've started reading SSHE and HPFAP again. I haven't read either of these two books in years. I wasn't sure if I'd ever crack them open again until recently. Let me tell you: these books are a terrific resource for playing winning limit hold'em. Small Stakes Hold'em is probably the most applicable book that I have for limit hold'em and it's terrific! I understand much more about poker now than I did a few years ago. The experience I've gathered over the years is really helping me better understand everything that Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth put in SSHE. It's amazing how spot-on all of the lessons and hand examples are to the 6-max limit hold'em games that I'm playing night after night. Who said poker's getting harder?

I'm going to try and do a little exercise tonight followed by some 6-max LHE at Stars. I still don't think that there's anyway of hitting SilverStar this month. Then again, jumping up to the $1/$2 games may help me earn VPPs at a more brisk rate. I hope so. I need to clear my bonus and order my gift certificate from the FPP Store.

Have a good one!

1 comment:

gurgey said...

SSHE is one of the most influental poker books I've read to date. And I've only played a few months of limit before switching to no-limit.

In fact, I may just get it off my shelf and give it another go. Thanks for mentioning it.

If I had to choose a book even better than that (in my opinion obv) only No-Limit Hold'Em Theory and Practice springs to mind instantly.

gurgey