If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Bad Beats?

I had a whole "thing" planned for today's post. I was going to talk about short-term variance, complain about bad beats, and try to get sympathy from my readers. But I don't have the time to be philosophical about this. And the only reason that most of us review others' bad beats is to feel better about our plight at the tables.

And so I'll see you off into the weekend with some hands that I played poorly, got unlucky, or both. Enjoy!


PokerStars $1/$2 Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 366144

The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is BB with J of spades K of diamonds
1 fold, MP raises, 3 folds, Hero calls

(Villain is 42/35/5.5.)

Flop: (4.5 SB) 9 of clubs J of hearts Q of spades (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets, Hero raises, MP calls

(Standard.)

Turn: (4.25 BB) J of diamonds (2 players)
Hero bets, MP raises, Hero 3-bets, MP caps!, Hero calls

(3-bet a little too ambitious here? Villain was pretty maniacal.)

River: (12.25 BB) A of spades (2 players)
Hero bets, MP raises, Hero calls

(I was torn between bet/call and check/call. I opted for getting more value for my hand. In hindsight, and possibly due to the result, a check/call might have been better since Villain did cap the turn.)

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
Hero mucks J of spades K of diamonds
MP shows Q of hearts Q of clubs (a full house, Queens full of Jacks)



PokerStars $1/$2 Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 366146
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is BB with 9 of hearts 5 of hearts
UTG calls, MP calls, 1 fold, BTN calls, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: (4.5 SB) 8 of spades K of hearts 5 of clubs (4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, BTN checks

Turn: (2.25 BB) 3 of clubs (4 players)
Hero bets, UTG calls, MP folds, BTN folds

(Screw it - I'm betting. UTG is 47/24/2.8 so I'm not too concerned about the call.)

River: (4.25 BB) 5 of spades (2 players)
Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG caps!, Hero calls

(Again - aggressive opponent so I felt that there was value in 3-betting this river. When UTG caps, I wasn't sure if I was making a crying call unless villain also held trips.)

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Hero mucks 9 of hearts 5 of hearts
UTG shows K of diamonds K of spades (a full house, Kings full of Fives)

(I later got a read on Villain. If he flopped anything better than a pair, he slowplayed until someone else got aggressive or until he was forced to tip his hand strength on the river. This player actually caught a string of five or six big hands in three orbits before leaving the table up over 50 BBs.)



PokerStars $1/$2 Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 366148
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is UTG with K of spades J of hearts
Hero raises, 3 folds, SB 3-bets, 1 fold, Hero calls

(Another hand, another LAG Villain with stats of 46/23/1.7.)

Flop: (7 SB) K of clubs 3 of spades T of diamonds (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls

(Villain's aggressive and I didn't want to slow him down. I felt there was more value in calling. I may have been a little gun-shy after having been owned on two previous hands against LAGs.)

Turn: (4.5 BB) 4 of spades (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls

River: (6.5 BB) 9 of clubs (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls

Final Pot: 8.5 BB
SB shows 9 of diamonds 9 of spades (three of a kind, Nines)
Hero mucks K of spades J of hearts

(Son of a ... I'm not sure if Villain would have called a raise from me on the flop or turn. River card is irrelevant but it still hurt to see that I'd walked right into my opponent's "trap".)


I'll finish this post off on a high-note. Despite some bad hands, there were a few good spots last night. Take this hand, for example...


PokerStars $1/$2 Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 366149
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is CO with 9 of diamonds 9 of clubs
2 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls

(BB is 36/7/1.4. I've been playing pretty aggressively and getting owned by the LAGs at the table.)

Flop: (4.5 SB) 7 of clubs 9 of hearts J of diamonds (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls

(Decided not to cap and raise the turn.)

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7 of spades (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero caps!, BB calls

(Villain was not aggressive and could have had JJ. But I wasn't about to slowdown now...)

River: (13.25 BB) 4 of diamonds (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls

(BB would have 3-bet with JJ or 77 so I was pretty sure that I was going to take down the pot.)

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
Hero shows 9 of diamonds 9 of clubs (a full house, Nines full of Sevens)
BB mucks J of spades T of clubs

(BB overplayed his hand just a little. In fact, his play is much like my play in the earlier hands. I'm happy that I was on the winning side this time.)



I'm off to play some $1/$2 hold'em at Stars and squeeze in a little Torchlight too!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: