If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Settling for the Silver Lining

I played a bunch of poker last night. I fired up four tables of Omaha/8 and settled in for a night of grinding. It was like taking a trip down memory lane. Full-ring poker, fixed-limit betting, nice passive play, and tons of clueless players. I purposely loaded up more tables than I usually play to force myself to play strict ABC Omaha/8 (or my version thereof). Trust me - you don't want to come down with a case of Fancy Play Syndrome while donking it up in the $0.50/$1 and $1/$2 Omaha/8 games at PokerStars.

I'm going to focus on the positives from last night instead of dwelling on the fact that I lost...again.


  1. On the whole, I made some solid decisions at the table. I may have made a few bad river calls and folded a winning hand another couple times on the river but I did the best I could given the information at my disposal and my limited experience.

  2. I was able to follow the action pretty well. I didn't time out and didn't feel lost. Hopefully I'll get better at 4-tabling if I keep at it.

  3. I made some terrific folds when I suspected I was beat.

  4. I made some good value bets in spots where I knew my opponents would call with worse hands.

  5. I didn't go on tilt and stuck to my tight semi-aggressive guns.

  6. I cleared 200 VPPs on Stars in less than two hours. Looks like I'll be getting myself a new dress shirt and a $250 gift certificate in no time!
After finishing up my session, I recorded my session numbers then fired up PokerEV. I wanted to see where I stood in terms of Sklansky Bucks over the course of my career Omaha/8 play.

I've played a total of 3,500 hands of Omaha/8 or roughly 70 table hours. Most hands (95%) have been at full-ring $0.50/$1 and $1/$2. I've lost a total of $200 over those 3.5K hands. The silver lining? PokerEV says that I'm up $300 in Sklansky bucks. Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to show that I'm making many more good decisions than bad decisions in Omaha/8. I attribute the discrepancy to my nitty starting hand criteria and my willingness to "bet it like I have it" until I eventually brick out or get double-counterfeited by a 2 on the turn and a 3 on the river.

I've been watching and re-watching the few Joe Tall Omaha/8 poker videos that I have stored on my Zune. I'm also going to re-read Cappelletti's surprisingly excellent How to Win at Omaha High-Low Poker along with Tenner/Krieger's Winning Omaha/8 Poker and Hwang's limit Omaha/8 section in Pot-Limit Omaha Poker.

I tell you: last night's session played so much like the limit hold'em games at Party Poker in 2005 that I'm actually a little excited about trying to play some more poker tonight.

Have a good one!

No comments: