If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

I can take it...

I think I passed my pain threshold last night while playing a mix of PLO and NLHE on Full Tilt, Party Poker, and Titan Poker. I was just card dead for most of the night and not getting much in the way of good flops or luck. I made couple loose calls on the river in PLO which is never a good thing at the $25 tables. I need to remember that there is no thin value-betting going on at the micro-stakes. It's frustrating and tilt-inducing the way that I keep paying off my opponents on the river when all my draws miss and their draws come out of left field to take down the pot. Of course, there was that one hand where a guy hit his flush on the turn and I took myself to value town by continuing to bet my middle set. I think my "betting machine" is broken...

I also got a good dose of bad luck last night. I define bad luck as either getting your money in good against a specific hand and losing OR getting your money in good against a range of hands but ending up way behind when the cards are flipped over. It's that second type of "bad luck" that just kills me. Of course, those of you who are good at poker might be able to better define an opponent's hand range and avoid making the same mistakes that I do. Maybe I shouldn't call it bad luck? I'd call it bad skill but that would just tilt me and see me give up poker forever.

I've got an example of this "bad skill" thing from last night. Although this is one particular instance in my ongoing poker session, this happens far more often than I'd like.


Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 9 players - View hand 281504
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: $9.75
BB: $12.81
Hero (UTG): $25.00
UTG+1: $57.34
UTG+2: $21.64
MP1: $30.79
MP2: $30.12
CO: $23.09
BTN: $11.37

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is UTG with K of clubs 4 of diamonds K of diamonds T of clubs
Hero calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, 3 folds, CO raises to $1.35, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.10, UTG+1 calls $1.10

(I limped up front with my double-suited KKxx because it was a loose-passive game with very little raising. Villain is an unknown.)

Flop: ($4.40) 5 of diamonds 8 of clubs 7 of clubs (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets $4.40, Hero raises to $17.60, UTG+1 folds, CO raises to $21.74 all in, Hero calls $4.14

(Overpair with the second nut flush draw and blockers to the straight seemed good enough for me to get it in. Or am I way off base here? Not giving enough credit to my micro-stakes opposition?)

CO shows J of clubs 9 of hearts 6 of diamonds T of diamonds

(I'm surprised the CO didn't have the flush draw to go with his dream flop...)

Turn: ($47.88) Q of hearts (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($47.88) 5 of spades (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $47.88
Hero shows K of clubs 4 of diamonds K of diamonds T of clubs (two pair, Kings and Fives)
CO shows J of clubs 9 of hearts 6 of diamonds T of diamonds (a straight, Nine high)
CO wins $45.49
(Rake: $2.39)

I still had 42% equity when all the money got in on the flop. Oh well, maybe I'll get 'em next time, right?

So after dropping a few buy-ins at PLO, I decided to fire up some 6-handed Omaha/8. I don't know why I find this game so damned intriguing but I really do! I quickly realized that PokerStars does not run any 6-max Omaha/8 games at stakes less than $1/$2. I jumped onto the $1/$2 tables anyway figuring that my bankroll could handle the swings.

I saw a few flops. I split one pot with a 80 VPIP/5 PFR player when my low draw got counterfeited but managed to take down the high. I also dropped a chunk of change on a hand where I flopped the nut flush draw and a backdoor nut low draw on an 2♠ Q 9♠ board while holding A♠ 3♠ 4 5. Turn put up the A but the river bricked and I lost to the BB's A2xx.

Tonight I plan on using my exercise bike and playing a little more PLO and Omaha/8. I'm a sucker for punishment, I guess.

2 comments:

The Poker Meister said...

Klopzi-

Take a breath from a game you're new to and go back to NLHE. You need to rebuild your confidence, and you know you can crush those games. Grind it out a little til you re-establish in your mind that you can play poker. You're mind f-ing yourself.

Klopzi said...

Meister -

I certainly am! It's one of my many talents!