If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Busy Days at the Tables and Elsewhere

Things have certainly been busy the past week or so. My sons birthdays' are coming up: my youngest's is tomorrow and my oldest's follows one week later. I'm very proud of my little guys even if they still don't really sleep through the night and like to play a game where they both start yelling at the same time. I think they may end up being pretty good singers because they're able to change their screams such that they are pitch-perfect with each other. My boys are also able to make fart noises with their mouths and enjoy bumping into everything they see in an attempt to draw a smile or laugh from any observers.

Despite the hectic preparations for parties taking place, I've started to find a little more time for poker.

I've been playing four tables of O/8 at a time. I generally aim to have two $0.50/$1 tables and two $1/$2 tables running at any time. But I'm a little selective when it comes to choosing tables to play so I sometimes end up playing fewer $1/$2 tables when those games are playing too tight. I've actually started considering throwing in some $2/$4 tables when those games look better than the $1/$2 games.

I'm still running quite cold at the tables. I had a few hands over the weekend that ended up quite poorly for me. Overfull losing to runner-runner quads on a high-only board. Top two-pair, nut-low draw, and flush draw losing to runner-runner straight that kills my nut-low draw. You get the idea. It's hard to be a 97.5% favourite to scoop a pot in Omaha/8 yet it seem so easy to lose as the 97.5% favourite.

As I've said before, I really don't mind getting sucked out on. According to PokerEV, I'm making many, many more good decisions than bad decisions at the tables. I'm winning enough when I get to showdown, betting when I'm ahead in the hand, and making good (and sometimes tough folds) when I'm behind. I probably call a little too loosely on the river but that's hard to say. Again, I'm not experienced enough at O/8 to truly evaluate my play and I don't have the same support network as I do with hold'em.

I'm really going to try to play a little more in October. If possible, I'd like to clear as much of my PokerStars WCOOP bonus as possible. I can still make another deposit before November 6 to get more bonus money from PokerStars. I'd just like to get a better idea of my VPP clear rate playing Omaha/8. I think I've been clearing about 25-30 VPP/hour at the $1/$2 tables (full-ring) and 10-15 VPP/hour at the $0.50/$1 tables (full-ring). If I start to throw in some $2/$4 tables, I might really start to see some returns.

I managed to put in a small win in my most recent session last night (thanks to a +40 BB run at the $0.50/$1 tables). I'm still a little frustrated with my $1/$2 results. I'm down about 100 BB this month and there are no signs of slowing. The only comfort I have is that PokerEV says that my results are a good 200 BB below expectation (for hands that go to showdown).

I'll see if I can put a dent in my 100 BB deficit tonight.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Sounds like you're playing ok. Things will turn around. GL tonight.

Klopzi said...

Thanks Memphis! We'll see how things go.