If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Poker is Tough

I didn't play quite as much poker over the long weekend as I intended. I spent much of my time relaxing with my wife and kids and just having fun. I played a little poker on Friday night and ended up about $2 to the good. And then I spent the rest of my weekend playing Eat Lead and Wheelman on my PS3.

I'm not sure why I find it so hard to get motivated to play poker nowadays. Maybe it's that the games are harder. Or maybe it's because everyone seems so eager to tell me how much harder it is to beat online poker these days. It's hard to sit down and grind out hands when you know that you'll have to play your A-game just to give yourself a chance to come out significantly ahead on the session. What a sick game.

Despite all the doom and gloom, I have a lot to learn from poker and that keeps me semi-motivated. I'm still waiting for that moment when my game "clicks". Right now, I still feel a little lost at times when I'm playing any form of poker; hard to believe given the amount of studying I've done to get better at poker. I'm pretty sure that I've read upwards of fifteen poker books this year. And I've probably watched more than three hundred hours of poker videos. Unfortunately, I've barely played fifty hours of poker over the past seven months.

Speaking of books, I finally received Jeff Hwang's newest book, Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha, in the mail yesterday. So far, so good. I'm anxious to try my hand at PLO again. But I'm going to finish Jeff's book before I start again in earnest. It should be fun misapplying Jeff's strategies at my micro-stakes games. I look forward to the inevitable tilt and hiatus that are likely coming someday soon.

Before I go, I should also mention that I'm planning on hitting up PokerStars as soon as I'm done my Full Tilt bonus. Stars has a 50% up to $300 reload bonus (bonus code: WCOOP) running right now (and a 100% up to $600 bonus for those of you not already playing at Stars). I'm not sure if I'll be able to play enough poker to clear this bonus before next February but I'll give it my best shot. Did you know that I've only managed to clear one bonus in the past four years at PokerStars? I thought I had more drive and staying power but I guess I was wrong.

Poker's tough - what else can I say?

2 comments:

Adam Burns said...

don't deposit the whole 600 1st and instead do something like $50, 100, 450 and you'll not have to clear as much as fast for it all.

Klopzi said...

Adam -

As you likely saw in my Aug. 6 post, I contacted Stars and had them change my bonus from $300 to $100. Definitely a load off and it will let me clear at my own pace.

Thanks for the advice on that. I'm so used to going for the biggest bonus. Unfortunately, the newer bonuses are not as easy to clear as the big bonuses from even just a couple years ago.