If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Balance, Bagels, and Poker


Based on the comments I received after my last post, I thought I should clarify that I'm not quitting poker. Nor am I going on hiatus. I'm just going to continue finding a healthy balance between marriage, family, poker, and video games. Balance is important. I've said it many, many times in the past and I'll keep saying it. Poker can be the greatest game in the world or worse than doing your taxes: it all depends on your current perspective.

When I sit at a table right now, I expect to lose. That's a terrible attitude to have in poker. I play too tight, get frustrated after folding way too many hands, and then make a terrible play for my whole stack. We've all been there.

The best thing for me to do right now is to continue reading, continue watching poker video, and limit my actual time at the tables until my attitude turns around. All it takes is a couple good sessions to turn things around. I'm not talking about downswings or heaters here. Winning brings about a winning attitude which seems to increase the number of winning sessions I have. I'm looking forward to it.

The reality is that I'm only about five buy-ins from where I'd like be to start up with $100 NLHE again. I'd make the jump up now but I don't move up in stakes to help me recover losses in my bankroll. It's a little rule that I have and one that I refuse to break. Another rule I have is that I don't eat prepared food that's touched the kitchen counter. Weird, huh? I'll eat a cracker that my son throws on the floor but won't eat a bagel that was placed on the kitchen counter after toasting.

Do you think a change in my bagel-eating habits could bring about a change in my online poker fortunes? I'd rather drink a shot of gin than put that theory to the test.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

joxum said...

"The best thing for me to do right now is to continue reading, continue watching poker video, and limit my actual time at the tables until my attitude turns around"

How much time do you actually spend analyzing your own game, then? If you don't do the occasional post mortem after a bad session, you'll never find your leaks. It's also going to be harder to relate how you play to the poker theory.

/j.

Klopzi said...

Joxum -

For every hour of poker that I play, I spend 30-60 minutes going over the hands I played well and those I played poorly. I then send many of these hands to a friend who looks them over and responds via e-mail. We then discuss these hands in person over coffee the next day.

I'd estimate for every hour of poker that I play, I spend roughly 5-10 hours reading, studying, or analyzing poker.

Maybe my brain's just too full or tired to keep up with my poker when I actually sit down to play. I also think my memory's pretty poor given how little I sleep.

Just thinking pretty negatively about the game right now. That's what happens when you invest so much time into something without seeing immediate, positive results. I blame video games and TV for my lack of patience...