If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Weekend Poker and the Stars FPP Store

I played a bit of no-limit hold'em over the weekend. I put in about 1,000 hands which is quite a bit compared to how much I've actually played this year. I'm sitting at about 6,000 hands played at $50 NLHE. I'll be putting in another 4K hands before I move back to my usual $100 NLHE game. It'll be good to get back to the $100 games. It's been a while but I think I'm ready.

I also played a bit of $25 PLO at Party Poker using the bonus money given to me. I'd like to say that things went well but I'd be lying. I lost most of my money by overplaying a gut-shot straight draw, nut-flush draw, and pair on the turn against an opponent's flopped set. I had a feeling that my hand wasn't quite as strong a PLO holding as I'd first believed. I stuck all my money in anyway and paid the price. I lost the rest of my stack in a three-way pot when my single-suited AAxx hand fell to a 95/60 player's rivered flush. I'll get 'em next time, I guess.

My playing was entirely focused on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. I decided to spend Saturday night relaxing with my wife. And I put poker aside and focused on finishing Resident Evil 5 on Sunday. Great game, by the way, for those of you who enjoy shooting zombies and other grotesque monsters.

I think that I may focus my play at PokerStars in August. I've got enough points to get my $250 FutureShop (a.k.a. BestBuy) gift certificate. I was also thinking of picking up some PokerStars shirts, hoodies, pullovers, fleeces, underpants, coffee mugs, tattoos, pens, cards, and anything else I can get my hands on. I've always liked wearing branded clothing ever since I was a little kid. I used to love that little crocodile logo on the shirts I wore as a toddler (Lacoste - if the Internets are to be believed).

There are only two problems that may come up with becoming a PokerStars-only player next month:

  • Will I get dinged with customs charges yet again if I order from the FPP Store? The last time I ordered a couple books from Stars, I got dinged with $20+ in customs charges. The books were not worth the money I paid.
  • Can I even get Silver Star VIP status - required to order my $250 gift card - playing only $50 6-max no-limit hold'em? In the old days, I used to clear about 33 VPPs per table hour at $100 NLHE. I think I'm only clearing about 15 VPPs per table hour at the $50 tables.
I'm currently waiting for Stars to respond to my questions about customs charges on FPP store purchases. I hope they give me good news. I love getting rakeback at Full Tilt but it'll also be nice to get a gift card and some clothing from Stars.

After that, my next real goal is to reach 25,000 points at Full Tilt. I'd love to order a customized Full Tilt hockey jersey. I'll see if I can get that done by Christmas. Only 14,000 more points to go!

2 comments:

The Poker Meister said...

Are you multi tabling when you play 1k hands? I have been toying with the idea of getting some full tilt merchandise, but it's hard to let the future $$$ rakeback go to waste... I'd so much rather have the cash!

Klopzi said...

Meister -

Yeah - I usually play 3 tables of NLHE at a time. 1K hands takes about 4 hours or so.

I see your point regarding the rakeback cash versus FTP store items. But sometimes, it's nice to put the money aside and just splurge on something completely useless and overpriced. I think Vegas is built on just such an idea.