If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Party, PLO, and The Weekend!

Party Poker is one of those sites that peaks my interest from time to time - namely when they offer me a cash bonus. When I checked my e-mail last night, Party informed me that I had a $420 bonus waiting to be claimed. Unlike other sites, Party tends to release bonuses to your account before you've cleared them for withdrawal. And let me tell you: there's nothing better than free-rolling your way to clearing a bonus.

I soon realized that the $420 bonus was not one of those "we pay to you play" bonuses. Instead, I was given 30 days to clear 2520 Party Points for the full $420 bonus. For those of you who care, I would need to play roughly 2600 hands of $100 NLHE every day for a month to clear that bonus. Pretty sick and completely not do-able for non-professional players. Of course, Party does release the bonus in increments of $84 for every 504 Party Points (~15K hands). Considering that I've probably played less than 100K hands in the past four years, you can understand my reluctance to even try to clear even $84 of the $420 bonus.

My story doesn't end here though. Party also offered me a second bonus offer of $35. This bonus was deposited directly into my account. I love free money! I took my $35 to a single $25 PLO table. Over a three hour period, I turned my $35 into an amazing $18.93! I guess I still have a lot to learn about PLO. Over a three hour period, I played 169 hands. In that time, only a couple hands of note took place.

In my first big hand, I flopped top set of nines in a multi-way pot. One opponent stuck around after I check-raised the field and he spiked his two-outer on the turn to overset me. I figure that I lost about $8-$10 more than I should have on this hand. I've got to remember that opponents at the micro-limits are more likely to play passively when they don't hold the nuts while refusing to lay down anything better than top pair. And, of course, there is very little, if any, thin value betting going on.

The only big hand I won ended up being a lucky one for me. I ended up getting all my money in on the turn with a 16-card nut wrap. Unfortunately, I was a 2.5:1 dog at that point since I was up against a pair and a flush draw. In my defense, the pot was laying me 4:1 at the time. PLO can be a frustrating and confusing game at times.

My plans for the weekend include some more PLO and some NLHE. I'm just going to get some hands in and see where the chips fall. Since my Advanced PLO: Small Ball and Short-Handed Play has yet to arrive in the mail, I'm going to keep reading Pot-Limit Omaha Poker. I never realized that the second half of the book deals with limit O8 and PLO8! How cool is that? I'd been looking to try PLO8. I guess I may just end up continuing to work on my O8 game though I may try the pot-limit variety. It seems like it could be fun and pretty profitable too with the right discipline (check) and attitude (my personal "kryptonite").

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

WillWonka said...

One of these days, I will get to PLO.

Klopzi said...

Will -

You should. It's pretty fun and extremely frustrating!