If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Of Mice and Men

I got my new keypad yesterday and my new mouse is waiting to be tested. I wonder if the new mouse will have any positive effects on my win rate? Probably not but I can dream, right? I tested out the new keypad while playing at Full Tilt last night and I think I may have wasted my money. My laptop keyboard has its own keypad so I'm not sure why I bought a separate number pad in the first place. I wonder if I was planning on using the keypad in my left hand...? I'll give that a shot tonight to see how well that works out.

My session last night was average. Nothing much happened at my tables. I made one bad play when I felt that I'd under-represented my hand and was forced to call down my out-of-position opponent. But a friend pointed out that my turn raise adequately described my hand strenght to my opponent. A slightly fishy river call for 20% of my stack soon followed.

I also made a solid (in my opinion) 3-bet/squeeze play from the big blind against a loose button raiser and somewhat laggy player in the small blind. Unfortunately, the button 4-bet shoved forcing me to fold my hand. I seriously love 3-betting. I do it so often that my poker buddy's starting to wonder if I ever lay down a hand - especially when I find myself on the button. Short answer: no. Long answer: noooooooooooo!

Another interesting point brought up by my studious poker buddy. It seems that there is a much bigger leap in difficulty when moving from the $50 to $100 NLHE as opposed to $100 to $200 NLHE. If that's the case, what am I waiting for? 3,800 more hands at $50 NLHE and 17,500 more hands at $100 NLHE, if you must know.

Poker's awesome! Have a good one!

2 comments:

WillWonka said...

I've also heard that about the moves from NL50 up to NL200. I've still not test the NL200 waters too much.

Klopzi said...

Will -

I've played the games from $50 to $200, most at the $100 level though. The only difference I see is in how opponents think. If you out-level your opponents, you win. I think that's true at all limits.

But I'd say the difficulty at the higher stakes comes from playing a broader range of opponents all thinking at different levels. At $50 NL, you face a mix of Level 0 and Level 1 thinkers. At $100 NL, most players think at Level 1 with a small percentage at Level 0 and Level 2.

But once you start moving beyond $100, I'd estimate that you deal primarily with Level 1 and Level 2 thinkers. And the players who successfully move beyond that are likely able to change up their game based on your own actions and how your game is perceived by others. I'm sure it's quite difficult at times - but not impossible by any stretch.

Poker is still just a game. And if you like a challenge and have the bankroll, why not play the higher stakes games and see if you can out-think the regulars who have grown accustomed to dominating the games?

Something to look forward to, I guess.