If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Late Night Poker

I've had a little case of insomnia for a few nights in a row now. A little unusual for me given how exhausted I am all the time. I don't recall not being able to sleep since well before my first son was born almost three years ago.

Rather than toss and turn in bed, I decided to fire up a few tables of $1/$2 Omaha Hi-Lo at Stars. Although I've focused quite a bit on no-limit hold'em over the past week, I've not given up on my plan to build up my mixed games skills.

At the lowest limits, Omaha Hi-Lo is pretty straightforward: wait for quality starting hands, flop the nuts or draws to the nuts, and always aim to scoop pots. It's not hard to play micro-stakes O8 when tired or tipsy so tonight's game selection seemed like a good fit for my current state of mind.

Here's the hand that defined my session this evening.


Poker Stars $1/$2 Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 10 players - View hand 176616

The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter


Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is SB with 33 of hearts 22 of hearts AA of diamonds AA of hearts

5 folds, MP3 calls, 1 fold, BTN calls, Hero calls, BB checks

(I pick up a monster hand in the SB. But I've played so few hands and a raise OOP from the blinds looks so much like AAxx or A23x that I decide to limp to disguise my hand. Unlike hold'em, there's more value in having more players in the pot - even with AA and even when hopelessly OOP.)

Flop: (4 SB) 44 of hearts TT of clubs AA of spades (4 players)
Hero bets, BB calls, MP3 calls, BTN calls

(Great flop for me. I've got the nut-high and I'm drawing to the nut-low. This is exactly where you'd like to be in Omaha Hi-Lo. I bet out because my hand's disguised and I'm going to get call by anyone with a low draw and some random high-hands too.)

Turn: (4 BB) 88 of diamonds (4 players)
Hero bets, BB calls, MP3 calls, BTN raises, Hero 3-bets, BB calls, MP3 calls, BTN caps!, Hero calls, BB calls, MP3 calls

(I've now got nut-nut so I'm looking to scoop. When the BTN raises, I know that I'm getting quartered on the low. Hopefully I can dodge a 2 or 3 on the river and possibly a K, Q, or J to give one of my other opponents the nut straight. Again - I don't see any reason for slowplaying here: if my opponents are drawing, I want to get as much money into the pot as possible before they realize that they're drawing slim or dead.)

River: (20 BB) TT of spades (4 players)
Hero bets, BB calls, MP3 calls, BTN calls

(Great card for me. I'm pretty sure that I'm winning 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot. It's a shame that the BTN didn't raise my bet.)

Final Pot: 24 BB

BB mucks QQ of spades KK of diamonds JJ of diamonds AA of clubs
MP3 mucks 33 of spades 99 of diamonds 44 of spades 55 of diamonds
BTN shows 33 of diamonds 44 of diamonds 88 of clubs 22 of spades (HI: two pair, Tens and Eights; LO: 8,4,3,2,A)
Hero shows 33 of hearts 22 of hearts AA of diamonds AA of hearts (HI: a full house, Aces full of Tens; LO: 8,4,3,2,A)

Hero wins 17.625 BB
BTN wins 5.875 BB

That's it for me. I'd like to say that I'm going to sleep but I can still feel that tingle that tells me that my body's not quite ready to sleep. At least I won't make the mistake of laying in bed and trying to force myself to sleep. Time to see what's cooking on the Food Network.

Have a great night everyone!

No comments: