If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

I'm up...

I haven't played any poker since the weekend. And even then, I played very few hands overall. I mentioned that I've been having a mild bout of insomnia for the past few weeks. I can't seem to shake it. I find myself tired all day long. In fact, I could probably lay down right now and go to sleep. But come ten o'clock at night, something inside me starts to wind up. From that point on, I find it next to impossible to fall asleep before two-thiry in the morning. I've given up on trying to go to sleep earlier because I just lay awake for hours until my body finally shuts down.

I'm pretty sure that my current level of exhaustion is bad for my day-to-day life. I find that my memory and alertness levels are way down. It's taken a while for the insomnia to really start taking its toll though since I'm only sleeping an hour or two less a night. But I can really feel the drain now.

I've played less poker because I'm afraid to play when I'm this tired. I could chug an energy drink but I'm trying to avoid taking extra caffeine at night when I'm already unable to fall asleep. On a positive note, my insomnia has given me more time to catch up on my video gaming. I don't need to be alert to play games. And unlike poker, I find video games very relaxing - even more so than the slow grind of limit Omaha 8. Last night, I went to bed at 1:50 and was sound asleep by 2:30. I remember looking at the clock at 2:25 but that's all I remember. I was still exhausted this morning but at least I hadn't wasted my evening staring into the black and worrying about how tired I would be the next day.

On the poker front, my recent foray into Omaha 8 has got me wanting to play some pot-limit Omaha again. I'm currently re-reading Jeff Hwang's excellent book - Pot-Limit Omaha Poker. If you're coming from a hold'em background and want a quick starter course on how to start beating Omaha, Jeff's book is a terrific resource. I'm really looking forward to his next book - Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha: Small Ball and Short-Handed Play - which is due to arrive in my mailbox in a week's time.

I don't plan on playing any PLO tonight but perhaps I'll be ready by the weekend if I can get some sleep. But for now, I think playing a little more inFamous is probably the safest route to take for my sanity and my bankroll.

Have a good one!

1 comment:

The Poker Meister said...

Good luck with getting your sleep back on schedule.