If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

I can make how much?

I decided to not play any poker last night. The kids got to bed late, my wife and I watched a movie, and then it was too late to fire up any tables. No sweat though. I'm planning on hitting up the tables for a bit tonight. No epic sessions: just a few tables of the micro-stakes stuff and then maybe a bit of time playing some games on my PS3. I'm all about the balance now...

A friend of mine sent me a list of the top players' win rates at $1/$2 NLHE. The list is a year old but still significant enough in my mind. It looks like the top 1% of players pulled in about 9 BB/100 (or 4.5 PTBB/100) over sample sizes of 75,000 hands or more. Throw in some rakeback and $1/$2 NLHE seems like a pretty profitable game.

Of course, please note that I said the top 1% of players at $1/$2. I'd suspect a good player might be able to earn somewhere in the 3-6 BB/100 range ($6-$12/100). That's not too bad and seems fairly reasonable for your non-professional poker hobbyist. I wouldn't mind pulling in an extra $300 - $600 plus rakeback every month for what amounts to a fun little nightly diversion.

But for now, I'm still suck earning 5 BB/100 at $50 NLHE. And the $25 a month that I'm earning comes pretty close to covering the costs of the energy drinks that I consume in order to stay awake and play poker. It's all coming together rather nicely...

4 comments:

TripJax said...

Love the picture of the mad stacks of pennies. Nice!

Klopzi said...

Unfortunately, it's not even my stack of pennies. Until the day that all my hard work and study of poker pays off, I will look upon that stack as a reminder of what I'm fighting for...

The Poker Meister said...

The delicious part of it all is that the $6-12/100 hands scales. In other words, you can get in about 80 hands / hour per table. If you 3- or 4- table, you're getting in about 300 hands / hour, making 18-36 / hour!

http://lowstakeshands.blogspot.com/

Klopzi said...

Meister -

If it wasn't for multi-tabling, I wouldn't have stopped playing poker years ago.

I don't think it's hard to make a living playing poker. Making a good living is another story.

Mind you, I guess $36/hr isn't too bad a payday assuming you can manage to put in your 40 hours a week.