If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Working and Waiting

I played a little O8 over the weekend. I continued a losing trend but the stakes are small enough that I'm not too concerned. Played a little more Badugi (roughly 8 hands or so) and managed to lose a good chunk in a short while. I'm a mediocre player at best - hence the title of this site. But I continue to work on my game, broadening my horizons, and doing my best to change with the times.

Despite a shift towards mixed games of late, I'm also beginning to rekindle my love affair with 6-max no-limit hold'em (a.k.a. the "unbeatable" form of online poker). I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.

I recently picked up a copy of Small Stakes No-Limit Hold'em by Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta, and Matt Flynn. I'm only thirty or forty pages in but I've come to realize something quite difficult. My no-limit hold'em game has, for lack of a better term, gone to shit. Whereas I used to be somewhere between a nit and a TAG, I now play an exclusively nitty game. I always fear that my opponents are holding the nuts. And then I snap, donk off a buy-in, and go home with my tail between my legs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: poker is not just a card game. It's a constant challenge against your opponents and yourself. Many of the problems I face playing poker are personal and have nothing to do with anyone else who happens to be sitting at my table. I struggle constantly with many common issues such as playing scared money, playing long sessions when behind in an attempt to get even, quitting when ahead for fear of losing my winning session, folding when I think I may be ahead in the hand, and bluffing when I know that my opponents aren't folding.

Poker's one of the toughest hobbies you can undertake. I'm just glad that I have friends and family able to help me work through my demons as I continue to struggle at the tables. And I'm glad that I have this web site to use as a forum to work out my thoughts, strategies, beliefs, and anything else that pops into my head.

I still hope for that day when everything makes sense. When the countless hours of studying the game pay off and I can finally be proud of what I've accomplished with poker.

For now, all I can do is to keep working towards that goal and waiting to finally see that light at the end of the tunnel.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

with 6-max no-limit hold'em (a.k.a. the "unbeatable" form of online poker).

Whis is it unbeatable? The players are too good or the rake?

Klopzi said...

Memphis -

Although online 6-max poker is not really unbeatable, it is a much harder game than it used to be. Even at the $50 buy-in games, you'll still run into smart players who can be tough to beat.

The old days of nut-peddling and ABC poker seem to be over. To be a winner in online 6-max NLHE, you have to be a smart and aggressive player to make money. The game is still beatable for a lot of money if you're willing to put in the time to learn.

We'll see how well I fare when I finally start playing 6-max NLHE again.