If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Omaha 9 or Better?

I'm going to keep this really brief today.

I played a couple hours of Omaha Hi-Lo last night at Full Tilt. I couldn't manage to find two $1/$2 full-ring games going so I settled into a $1/$2 game and a $0.50/$1 game. At my low point, I found myself down about $50 but stuck to my guns and started climbing my way out of the hole I'd dug for myself.

In one hand, I picked up a single-suited AA3x hand. I raised an UTG limper and then all hell broke loose. It got capped pre-flop in a five-way pot. I flopped top set on a rainbow board (A94). Going to the turn, we were still four-handed after having each put two bets into the pot on the flop. The turn was a ten and we lost another player. River was a second nine giving me the nuts (or second nuts if you're going to count possible quad nines). I bet out and got both players to call - one with trip nines and the other with two-pair (AT). I scooped a $40-ish pot and put myself in a good position to break even for my session.

In the end, I pulled myself out of the red and into the black for a $10 profit. It's not a huge amount of money but that's not why I'm playing $1/$2 O8. Another few solid sessions and I may consider making the jump to the $2/$4 games. I'm rolled for the bigger game: I just need a little more confidence and momentum before taking the leap. To make the switch a little less jarring on my bankroll, I may start off by playing one table at $2/$4 and a second table at $1/$2. I can't see the level of play being drastically different.

There is one last hand that I wanted to discuss before I sign off on this post. I found myself in a 5-way unraised pot in the UTG+1 position. I picked up the nut-low draw on the flop and it got checked around. On the turn, my low failed to come in but it got checked around again. On the river, the 8♣ hit the board and I made my nut-low. I bet out when three players checked to me and only the tight-passive player to my left called. I was expecting to split the pot and was surprised when my opponent scooped! I checked the hand history and had to laugh when I read the final hands:


BOARD: J♥ 7♥ 9♣ Q♣ 8♣
ME: A&spades, 2♥ 2♣ 6♠
OPP: Q♥ T♠ J♦ 9♦
As you can see, I accidentally misread the flopped 9♣ as a low card. I "value-bet" my pair of twos on the river into four opponents. The tight player to my left tanked before calling. In the end, I guess he liked his rivered straight over my potential runner-runner flush.

If they ever invent Omaha 9 or better, I'll be ready.

Have a good one!

No comments: