If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Two Important Questions

I actually opened a Twitter account just in case I found myself with zero time to make any meaningful posts around here. But I'm still not sold on Twitter. I don't see the benefits of the service in terms of dollars and cents. If you like to post little details about your day to day life, I guess Twitter is good. I'm not big on that sort of thing though. I look at Twitter and say: how much money could I earn for using Twitter. The answer is $0.

And while speaking of not earning money, let's talk about my heads-up poker experience.

I've always been completely honest about my poker ability and results. So imagine my surprise when I looked back through my Poker Tracker stats and discovered that I was not a winning player at $50 heads-up no-limit. I thought I'd earned about $400 playing $50 heads-up. Boy was I wrong.

It seems that I'm the master of $20 heads-up no-limit. I'm up about 20 buy-ins at that buy-in level. After last weekend's play, my $50 HUNL experience sees me down about two buy-ins over roughly 2,000 hands total. I don't really have the time to get into it but I will divulge my biggest leak: I tend to overplay my hand in 3-bet pots. I also underestimate my opponents' abilities to systematically pick my game apart. And I'm also weak-tight after the flop.

In order to fix my biggest leak, I need to bring to mind two important questions when it comes to making big betting decisions in poker:

  1. Will my bet or raise allow a worse hand to call?
  2. Will my bet or raise allow a better hand to fold?
If making a bet allows you to answer "Yes" to one of those questions (based on board texture, reads, match flow, etc.) then make your bet; otherwise, give up. If you find yourself answering "No" to both questions, give up. And if, like me, you find yourself answering "Yes" to both questions, you've made a terrible mistake and are likely to fold the best hand or get stacked.

I've moved my play over to Full Tilt for the time being. It seems that VPPs just don't clear all that quickly at Stars' $50 HUNL tables.

I'm going to try and put in about 1,000 hands this week. I won't commit to anything though since I'm having lots of fun playing Gears of War 2 on my Xbox 360.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

joxum said...

Here's about 56 million pages that says you can make money with Twitter.

I'm about halfway through the list, have fun!

/j.

Klopzi said...

Nice. Who knew? I guess I'll have to see what I can do...

Thanks for clearing that up for me!