If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Glum

Well...I'm back to not feeling the love for poker. I blame losing players everywhere (and especially poker bloggers) for making it seem like the game itself is not beatable. I'll admit that poker is a losing cause for most; not for me, however. But it's hard to get motivated when I'm tired and don't have the time to play as much as I'd like or need.

Honestly, how good can I get at poker with only 3-4 hours of actual table time a week? The answer: not very good at all. I guess I just can't help to overthink things. And thinking always forces me away from poker as I come to realize that there is more to life than cards and chips.

Another problem causing a lack of poker is my new PlayStation 3. I love playing video games on my new big screen TV. And I love playing the PS3's version of Burnout Paradise. And LittleBIGPlanet is fun too!

I always do my best to maintain this site despite staying away from tables. But even that is getting harder as advertising money is starting to dry up as interest in reading poker blogs wanes. Given the choice between reading about poker or watching a poker training video or sweat session video, most online poker players are choosing the latter. This leaves us poker bloggers in the lurch. To put things into perspective, my video game site, The Greedy Gamer, has only been around for about two years and already gets five times as many readers as Klopzi's Mediocre Poker.

It seems that video games have universal appeal whereas poker's appeal is growing more and more niche. Poker's a great game but it is just one game. Playing the same game grows tiresome, especially when trying to climb up in stakes without having the skill, time, or devotion necessary to get the job done properly or in timely fashion. Video games, on the other hand, are relatively cheap and easy to pick and play. And the variety of games available nowadays is pretty ridiculous.

So what am I saying with this post? I don't really know. Poker will find its way back into my good graces. It always does.

But in the meantime, this site is in for some rather sporadic posting covering a wide variety of subjects.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Thoughtful post, Klopzi. I feel yr frustration re: not having the free time you'd like to for playing.

As far as the popularity of poker blogs goes, you make an interesting point. I think advertisers' waning enthusiasm might be a more general phenomenon than just w/poker (even Tiger Woods lost a couple of 'em here lately, I believe), though I do think yr right about the permanent "niche" status of poker.

Klopzi said...

Hey Shamus -

I realize that the Google Page Rank debacle has quite a bit to do with lowered advertising revenue as well. Poker blogs are losing the fight and no one seems to care enough about poker - especially poker blogs - to do anything about it.

It all started going downhill with the UIGEA. The US doesn't need to make online poker illegal to stop people from playing. Make it harder for people to get money online, make it harder for people to write about poker by removing any incentive for maintaining a quality site, and let the fad die out.

There was so much promise for poker but the outlook worsens every day.

I guess I'm still feeling glum today...