If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

No Buses, No Sleep

The public transit strike is still going strong up here in Ottawa. My exhaustion levels are reaching new heights as I find myself getting far too little sleep every night. And my youngest boy is waking up all throughout the night screaming his head off. I want to play PLO but I'm finding myself too exhausted to fire up my laptop at night. I really hate it when this happens...

When I started back with poker at the beginning of the month, I was doing so thinking that the bus strike would soon end. As soon as public transit is reinstated in Ottawa, I'll instantly get an extra one-and-a-half to two hours sleep a night. I'll also pick up an extra couple hours of study time a day to read poker books and watch poker training videos.

For now, the situation could not be worse for playing solid poker. I'm not sleeping enough. Work is extremely busy. I get very little time to work on my poker game away from the tables. The situation is really starting to piss me off.

When I do play PLO again, I'm planning on playing the $50 pot-limit games. Even though I've only played 2500 hands at the $0.10/$0.25 tables, I don't think that I have much more to learn there. My opponents are all too happy to draw to their hands and fold on the river if they miss. No one plays aggressively except for the very infrequent uber-LAGs who lose their stacks quickly. I can play tight and peddle the nuts to come away with a profit most times that I sit down. It's easy money but it's not very much money. By jumping up to the next level, I'm hoping that the increased stakes at the $50 tables will help to further spur my interest in pot-limit Omaha and continue to pad my bankroll in a more meaningful way.

Seriously though - am I the only one who has difficulty playing when exhausted? I can usually push through for a couple weeks but after that, I'm done. Until the bus strike ends, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. If I play through the pain and fatigue, I stand a greater chance of playing losing poker. And losing poker puts me on tilt. And tilt puts me on hiatus.

Stupid bus strike...

No comments: