If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

More Spending, More Cake, More Poker

I know I said I wasn't going to post today but I couldn't help it. It's my birthday and if I want to post, I'll post. I just wanted to show you a couple winning PLO hands that I had the other night. Of course, that's not to say that these hands are well-played. I always invite helpful criticism and advice on my play. In addition to some PLO discussion, I also made a couple impulse purchases to help in my quest to dominate the online poker world.

Let's start off with my recent purchases. If you're like me (old and spend too much time using computers), you've not doubt felt that tingling in your fingers after some late night online poker sessions. I've tried to remedy this situation in a couple different ways:

  1. I bought some fancy wrist-guards to help keep my carpal tunnel at bay. This solution doesn't really work for me because the wrist-guards smell strongly of chemicals, I find it hard drink pop/beer with the wrist guards on, and I feel claustrophobic wearing them.
  2. I bought a special mouse that I could hold in one hand. The mouse cursor could be moved using a tiny plastic ball housed in the mouse that I could manipulate using my thumb. Unfortunately, the shoddy design of the mouse and table-less design made the whole experience frustrating and ultimately unsatisfying. Had the mouse been constructed of good quality metal or hard plastics and come with a hand-strap and an optical trackball, I would have probably loved it.
My newest approach to reducing the strain of online poker on my wrists is the use of a Logitech Marble Mouse. A stationary mouse is quite good at reducing wrist and shoulder strain. And the optical trackball means less cleaning and more precise on-screen control of the mouse cursor. I went with a cheap finger-controlled (as opposed to thumb-controlled) trackball mouse because I first need to determine if I can successfully use a trackball for multi-tabling. I'm told that finger-controlled trackballs take a little getting used to but are awesome once you hit the groove. The mouse has four programmable buttons that could be used to aid cursor navigation.

I made a second birthday purchase and picked up a high gain antenna for my wireless router. Although I rarely lose my internet connection, there are times when my connection quality drops down to one or two bars. There's nothing more frustrating than realizing that I'm lagging while gambling away my free time. I'm hoping that the high gain antenna will keep me at 4 or 5 bars no matter where I play in my house (and perhaps the backyard in the summer months).

And now onto the shame and glory of my recent pot-limit Omaha play.


Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 6 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $32.65
UTG: $33.95
MP: $24.65
CO: $27.90
Hero (BTN): $27.50
SB: $3.40

Pre Flop: ($0.45) Hero is BTN with JJ of diamonds 88 of spades 66 of hearts TT of diamonds
UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold, CO raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.70, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.60

(CO is a little LAG. I've got a hand that plays well in position.)
Flop: ($2.45) KK of diamonds QQ of diamonds 44 of hearts (3 players)
UTG bets $0.75, CO folds, Hero raises to $4.80, UTG calls $4.05

(I don't have any solid reads on UTG. That being said, I've got 15 outs and I'd like to get all the money in...right?)
Turn: ($12.05) 33 of hearts (2 players)
UTG bets $12.15, Hero raises to $22 all in, UTG calls $9.85

(Hmmm. UTG is either on a combo draw like me or holding a draw with a pair or set. I'm getting 2:1 on a call with about $10 behind. I decide to jam hoping that I have some sort of fold equity; I'm mainly thinking "I've got a huge draw" and doing some level 0 thinking. Villain insta-calls and shows top set. I'm about a 2.5:1 dog.)
River: ($56.05) 99 of spades (2 players - 1 is all in)

(Phew...)
Final Pot: $56.05
UTG shows KK of spades AA of hearts JJ of hearts KK of hearts (three of a kind, Kings)
Hero shows JJ of diamonds 88 of spades 66 of hearts TT of diamonds (a straight, King high)
Hero wins $53.35
(Rake: $2.70)


Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 6 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

CO: $25.00
BTN: $6.00
SB: $17.25
BB: $28.90
Hero (UTG): $25.00
MP: $61.65

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is UTG with QQ of clubs JJ of diamonds AA of hearts KK of clubs
Hero raises to $0.85, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.85, 1 fold, BB calls $0.60

(Good PLO hand so I raise. Button is a little loose.)
Flop: ($2.65) TT of spades KK of hearts JJ of hearts (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $2.65, BTN folds, BB calls $2.65

(I flop the nuts and pot it. I think the safe PLO play in this spot is to check/call a bet from the button and check/fold a bet/raise from Button/BB. PLO is weird...)

Turn: ($7.95) 44 of diamonds (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $7.95, BB raises to $25.40 all in, Hero calls $13.55 all in

(With only one street to go, I decide to get all the money in. Hopefully the Button doesn't have the same straight as me with a flush redraws. When the Button shows his hand, he's got the sucker straight with a redraw to the heart flush. I just need to dodge nine outs...)

River: ($50.95) QQ of diamonds (2 players - 2 are all in)

(Phew...)

Final Pot: $50.95
BB shows 99 of spades 99 of hearts 22 of hearts QQ of hearts (a straight, King high)
Hero shows QQ of clubs JJ of diamonds AA of hearts KK of clubs (a straight, Ace high)
Hero wins $48.45
(Rake: $2.50)


Have a good one! I'm off to play some PLO, relax, eat some birthday cake, then watch a movie or two with my wife.

4 comments:

joxum (Denmark) said...

Merry Birthday!

/j.

Klopzi said...

Thanks Joxum.

The Poker Meister said...

You got SO lucky on that first hand. My question is why didn't UTG re-raise on the flop? Nut set + back door flush draw + inside straight draw and your willingness to raise from ~$2.25 in the pot to $4.80.

End result, though, is you got HUGELY lucky @ 22% on the turn.

Klopzi said...

Poker Meister -

Yep - I was lucky. Then again, I'm playing $25 PLO where 95% of players are donkeys who couldn't play poker to save their lives.

That being said, I misplayed the hand given my opponents particular hand.