If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Little Fish

I got home late from work last night. One of the annoying "quirks" of a public transit strike is that downtown parking is at a premium. In my case, I arrived at my office building at a quarter to nine yesterday morning. The underground parking lot beneath my building was full. As I drove around Ottawa's downtown core, I quickly realized that all parking lots within a four block radius of my building were turning people away. Thankfully, I was able to drive out to a friend's place and get a drive back into work with him: his reserved parking spot was a godsend.

After getting home and putting the kids to bed, I settled in for some PLO at Full Tilt despite having my nose was dripping like a leaky faucet. I was also a little achy. And maybe a little thirsty too. I didn't run hot last night but I still managed to eek out a small win.

I had a couple tough hands against one particular player. Due to the absence of any reads, I'm not sure if the guy was a solid player, a tricky player, or a dick. In the hand below, I got some first-hand experience of just how bad it can be to play a marginal PLO holding out of position. I'm still unsure of relative hand strengths in PLO - especially in short-handed or heads-up pots. My questions to you:

  1. Is my pre-flop raise too loose?
  2. Would you check-fold the turn?
  3. As played, is there any way that you could see yourself calling Villain's bet?

Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 5 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: $11.35
BB: $39.50
Hero (UTG): $26.20
CO: $21.65
BTN: $21.05

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is UTG with 2 K K A
Hero raises to $0.85, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.85, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.05) 3 5 J (2 players)
Hero bets $2.05, BTN calls $2.05

Turn: ($6.15) T (2 players)
Hero bets $6.15, BTN raises to $18.15 all in, Hero folds

(Standard or donkey play on my part?)

I also took the opportunity to run my current 420 PLO hands through PokerEV after last night's session. It appears that I'm running a little on the lucky side; all my number look good though. I'm always happy to have my "Won W/O Showdown" showing a positive BB/100.

While looking over my +EV and -EV hands, I was disappointed to see that the hand I posted yesterday lost me some Sklansky bucks; $3 lost, in fact. I ran my hand, the Villain's hand, and the board through twodimes and came up with the following:
HERO:Qd Kh Jh Th
VILLAIN: Ad Td 9d 4d
BOARD: As 6c Ts

HERO EV: 37.7%
VILLAIN EV: 62.3%
Was I wrong to make the call when my opponent pushed over top of my flop bet? In hindsight, there are very few hands that my opponent could hold that put me in a good spot there. I'm in bad shape against top-two, top-bottom pair, or a set. There's also a chance that I'm getting freerolled by hand like Ks Qs Js x. I'm still not familiar enough with PLO to know whether or not my play was standard or not.

It's these types of situations that get me in trouble in poker. Very rarely do I put my money in as a huge favourite and lose. Instead, I tend to get my money in good against the range that I've assigned the Villain only to learn that either:
  1. Villain's range is much smaller than I believed and I'm crushed.
  2. Villain's hand is at the very top of the range that I assigned to his hand and I'm crushed.
I guess I'll need to work on my hand reading skills if I'm ever to succeed at the higher stake NLHE or PLO games.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

poker outings for a confused mind said...

sweet blog. check me out/add me too.
poker outings for a confused mind:
http://pokeroutings.blogspot.com/

Klopzi said...

Thanks for stopping by.

I've updated my blog roll.