If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Weekend!


After last night's session at Full Tilt, I realize that I'm still a little rusty in terms of my no-limit hold'em game. It's not that I played horribly or lost monster pots. But I know that I left quite a bit of money on the table and made a couple ultra-tight folds pre-flop. I think that all the reading about multi-table tournaments that I've been doing has me playing a little too tight. Still - it's better to play a little tight than too loose when jumping up in limits.

My plans for this weekend are pretty simple.

Tonight - drinks and video games. Fallout 3 is calling my name - as are the other 40 games in my video game library. I've seriously gone on a huge shopping spree in terms of games lately. Thanks to poker, a couple hundred dollars here and there out of my bankroll is nothing to concern myself about.

I'll probably play some STTs and MTTs over the weekend and put in a couple $200 NL sessions too. As much as I'd love to hammer the tables to death and walk away with tons of cash, I'm feeling a little worn down after the past few weeks of work. It's easy to play solid poker when you're mentally alert; playing while mentally exhausted is another matter entirely.

I still think my poker game is coming along nicely. I'll need to brush up on my no-limit game with some videos and books once I've finished off Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Volume I. The book is pretty good and I'm really looking forward to seeing if it can help me pull off some good results in some MTTs over the coming months.

I'll leave you with a hand from last night that saw me win a fairly large pot (my largest at Full Tilt, in fact) thanks to a solid read that I had on the Villain.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $144.40
CO: $240.95
Button: $207.10
SB: $148
Hero: $219.25

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with T♣ T♠
UTG calls, CO raises to $9, 2 folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

(UTG is donkey, CO is an uber-tight multi-tabler. Against only the CO, I'd raise TT here since there's no way I'm getting paid off if I hit a set and CO's steal range is pretty wide. But I don't mind calling with UTG already in the pot.)

Flop: 2♥ 4♦ 6♥ ($28, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $20, CO folds, Hero ??

(I actually had to think for a second here. I knew that I was ahead of the Villain's range but I was wondering if he'd call a shove on my part. My notes said that Villain played his made hands quite strongly. If Villain liked his hand enough to bet the flop, I was pretty sure that my shove would get called by a hand as weak as top pair or an unimproved pocket pair.)

Hero raises all-in $210.25, UTG calls all-in $115.4.

Uncalled bets: $74.85 returned to Hero.

Turn: Q♦ ($298.8, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $298.8)


River: 2♣ ($298.8, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $298.8)


Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $298.8
UTG showed 6d 9s
Hero showed Tc Ts


Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

steeser said...

Understand the point about keeping UTG in the pot, but with a uber-tight player already raising, and knowing that you aren't going to get value out of a set, I like a 3-bet to about 27-30 pre-flop.

Klopzi said...

steeser -

3-betting was probably a safe play. I 3-bet, villain calls, uber-tight player folds. But my concern was playing a big pot OOP with TT against a player with ATC and a Villain who likely had me beat with an overpair (if he calls the 3-bet). Of course, uber-tight player could also just shove over top of my 3-bet, forcing me to fold my hand.

But I do acknowledge that 3-betting is a good alternative (and probably pretty standard) in this spot. Like I said, higher limits and out of practice have me playing a little tighter.

steeser said...

If you 3-bet and the uber tight player calls, then there is no reason to play a big pot. I don't mind playing a big pot OOP with the ATC player, and neither did you based on your play.

Klopzi said...

I'd just hate to 3-bet and be forced to fold post-flop in a situation where I may have the best hand. Or, even worse, get all the money in with the worst hand because SPR dictates that I'm probably good with an overpair against a tight player.

But, like I said, there's nothing wrong with 3-betting as long as you're willing to "play poker" post-flop.