If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

A New Outlook...Again!

Thanks to yesterday's post, my mind has started drifting back towards poker again. It's funny how that always seems to happen. I started to think about poker at about 2:30 am this morning. Don't you hate it when you start examining your life at such a late (or early) hour?

It's not that I feel that I've wasted my life. My wife and kids are proof that I've done something with myself and that my life has meaning. But I can do a lot more for my family. Although I could simply work a whole lot more and make more money, that's not really the point. I want to make more money but also spend time with my family and enjoy my bit of free time in the process. How does one make money without sacrificing family time or free time? I can only think of three possibilities: lottery, investing, or poker. I'm too smart to play the lottery and I don't have enough capital to make any worthwhile investments. From where I'm sitting, it looks like poker is my only shot here.

The only problem facing me right now is deciding how I'd like to spend my poker time. And I've come up with a ingenious solution that should do the trick in keeping me motivated to play while also having tons of fun.

I'm going to treat poker like a video game; specifically, like an Xbox 360 game. I'm going to create a list of PokerGoals® that I need to unlock by playing poker. Each PokerGoal® will have be worth a number of PokerPoints®. All PokerPoints® earned will be represented by my overall PokerScore®. Much like my Xbox 360 GamerScore, my PokerScore® will represent, at a glance, my overall success as a well-rounded poker player.

I'm going to come up with a list of PokerGoals® that I'll work towards clearing. I will keep a few concepts in mind while coming up with a list of mini-goals:

  • Achievements will cover a variety of poker games including no-limit hold'em, limit hold'em, H.O.R.S.E., pot-limit Omaha, limit Omaha/8, five card draw, razz, triple draw, and 7-card stud.
  • Achievements will include career goals, in-game goals, and situation specific goals that may force me to deviate from accepted strategy just for the sake of fun or experimentation.
  • New achievements may be added to the existing list based on new ideas that I'd like to incorporate into my game and recommendations or suggestions from my readers, friends, or family.
I'll post my achievement list in the next few days. It may take me a little while to come up with some nifty and fun goals. In the meantime, I have a couple requests from my readers:
  1. I'll gladly welcome any e-mails regarding any free and downloadable poker videos that cover games other than NLHE and LHE cash games.
  2. If you have any PokerGoals® that you'd like to see me work towards, feel free let me know via e-mail or via comments below.
I hope that this new outlook on poker will help me better identify and what I like about poker. I really think it's a great game despite my recent lapse from the tables.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

Look forward to seeing your goals. I would try and avoid any kind of goal that is going to make you play badly or take horrible shots to make the goal. No point screwing yourself up for a stupid goal.

I would also be very specific on ways to accomplish said goal. Like "I wanna make 10K" is a lame ass goal.. where "I wanna make 10K and I am going to do X,Y,Z to get there" is more interesting.

Like for me. I want to win a Sunday Major. How. I will spend 15$ a night on the 75$ Token. I will then use any of those tokens to Sat into the 750K for cheap. So my bankroll is not ruined and I have a specific followable plan to accomplish my goal.

Good luck to you!

Klopzi said...

Waffles -

I'm going to try out a different number of goals. Some will be specific money goals, others will refer to number of sessions or money won, and others will be a little more interesting.

I will have some goals that are actually detrimental for my bankroll. Most of these would be achieved due to a mistake on my part. However, some others will be in place to help me consider more than just money while playing poker. I'd like to force myself out of my comfort zone from time to time to help me better deal with tilt and better manage my expectations.

I will say that one of my goals is to play a Sunday Major. Another will be to win a Sunday Major. Might as well aim big, right?