If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

A Growing Library

Now that I'm back to enjoying poker again, I'm really hoping to work on many different facets of my game. Much of the work that I plan to do will come in the form of diversifying my skills. Rather than focus solely on NL hold'em, I really want to branch out and try my hand at a number of different games. Who knows? I might have the skills to become a world class 7-card stud player. Or maybe triple draw will be my game? Or maybe I'm destined to play the high-stakes PLO games on Full Tilt?

I decided to order some books from Amazon to help me improve my overall approach to poker and greater financial success. I've also got some books at home that deserve some of my time. I also have an upcoming book review for a MTT-specific book. The full list of books that I'll be reading in the next month or two can be found after the jump.

One of my major pushes in the next couple months will be in terms of my limit hold'em game. I used to love limit hold'em and I think that I'll really enjoy the 6-max games. I'm much better at handling swings in my bankroll than I used to be though I have quite a ways to go before I make variance my b*tch. In order to improve my hold'em game, I'll be reading the following books:

  • Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players (HPFAP): This is the limit hold'em players' bible. Sklansky may be an unlikable freak but he knows his poker cold. I tried reading HPFAP way too early in my poker career. I was unable to understand or apply many of Sklansky's theories. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get more out of the book now.

  • Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games: Short-Handed and High-Stakes Concepts and Theory for Limit Hold 'em: StoxTrader knows high-stakes limit hold'em; I want to learn how to play high-stakes limit hold'em. Seems like a perfect fit, right? I'm sure much of StoxTrader's theory won't apply to the games I play but I'd still like to know what I should be thinking whenever I sit down at a FL game. I'm most interested in how the book handles short-handed and heads-up limit hold'em.

  • Limit Hold'em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies: Again - I'm really looking for as much information about short-handed limit hold'em as possible. I don't know much about this book's author but I should be able to sniff out any B.S. before it hurts my overall game. The reviews that I've read about Terry Borer's book have been positively glowing. Maybe this will be the book that triggers that certain something, turning me into a 6-max limit hold'em juggernaut?
Limit hold'em isn't all that I'm looking to play in the coming months. Another big focus of mine will be on Pot Limit Omaha (PLO). I'll be playing PLO for a couple reasons: there seems to be more bad PLO players than good and the higher-variance nature of PLO should help me improve my mental game. Big profits and a better attitude towards poker? Sounds good to me.
  • How Good is Your Pot-Limit Omaha?: This book's author, Stewart Reuben, is a PLO veteran. He plays a very aggressive style of poker and seems to know his stuff. Reviews for the book are mixed. Many say that some of the hand examples aren't representative of the lower-stake games and that some of the hand examples are not quite up to par. I'm mainly looking to read through hand examples, contrived or not, to help me see what sort of things I should be thinking about during a hand of PLO.

  • Pot-Limit Omaha Poker: Jeff Hwang seems to have written a solid book about PLO. Reviews are great and the material seems to be a well-balanced mix of everything I'd need to start seeing good results in PLO. I honestly feel that PLO is going to be the next big game - especially the short-handed games. Hopefully Jeff will be able to give me a good head-start on everyone else jumping on the PLO bandwagon.
Finally, I'll be spending some quality time with Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Volume I. I really respect Rizen's MTT game. He's shown great results and a great attitude towards tournaments (and poker in general) over the past several years. If you've been a regular reader of mine, you'll know that I often wish that I could play more MTTs. I hate grinding out hours of poker without a payoff but I love the feeling of making the money, making the final table, and wining tournaments. I've only won one tournament to date. My hope is that this well-received book will help me get my MTT game up to speed. If I can learn enough to be able to take down a blogger tournament, I'll be happy. Of course, I'd also be quite happy to take down one of the Sunday majors too.

Have a great day everyone!

No comments: