If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Brushing Up

I've been brushing up on my sit-n-go skills in over the past few days. I've been a little busy with work and with my Xbox 360 so I figure that SNGs (or STTs if you prefer) are probably my best bet poker-wise for now. After re-reading Moshman's Sit 'n Go Strategy, I'm amazed at how much information I failed to pick up on earlier readings. If I can incorporate even half of what Moshman discusses in his book, I should be able to soundly beat the low-to-mid buy-in games at Full Tilt.

I was originally going to focus on playing $2/$4 FL at Full Tilt. But after finishing up Limit Hold'em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies, I'm a little discouraged. The book itself is actually quite excellent: it showed me how little I knew about short-handed fixed limit hold'em and showed me how to improve my game through sound theory and great examples. So what's the problem?

The authors state that a win rate of 2 - 2.5 BB/100 is a solid win rate for an "excellent" player. I'd need to be soundly beating the $3/$6 games before even coming close to the win rates that I earn playing $100 NL. And from what I've heard, $3/$6 can be pretty tough. In fact, one of the book's authors claims to play $3/$6 from time to time when there are no good games at the higher limits. Frankly, the prospect of playing against either Terry Borer or Lawrence Mark frightens both me and my bankroll.

I'll continue to brush up on my fixed limit hold'em skills by re-reading Limit Hold'em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies. In the meantime, I'm going to work on beating the $22 + $2 Turbos at Full Tilt - a feat that I failed to accomplish last year. Some SNGs and some video games should help me re-focus and, more importantly, relax. I need a little downtime...

I may play a couple SNGs at Full Tilt tonight depending on how I'm feeling. If things go well, I may play a few more.

Have a good one.

No comments: