If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Bad Candy, Wastelands, and Snow Storms

Good Lord! I'm addicted to Fallout 3. I stayed up way too late last night creeping around a supermarket in a post-nuclear wasteland. Why was I doing this? To find food and drugs. I also got to shoot a bunch of bad people in the head. This resulted in a lot of decapitated heads and amputated limbs. I then took some of the bodiless heads and tried to knock over some empty milk jugs with them. Fallout 3: disturbing and fun.

In other news, we got hit by a snowstorm yesterday. Half a foot of snow. In October. My Christmas spirit is coming in early this year. Will the trick-or-treaters be confused if I give out candy canes tomorrow night?

Speaking of candy, a friend of mine let me know about a candy recall happening in Canada. If you're Canadian - or if you do all your Halloween candy shopping in Canada - and are planning on giving out candy tomorrow night or have kids who will be procuring and eating candy, please read the following:

OTTAWA, October 8, 2008

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is warning the public not to consume, distribute, or sell the Sherwood Brands Pirate’s Gold Milk Chocolate Coins described below. This product is being recalled due to positive test results for melamine conducted by the CFIA.

The affected product, Sherwood Brands Pirate’s Gold Milk Chocolate Coins, is sold in 840g containers containing 240 pieces per container bearing UPC 0 36077 11240 7 and lot code 1928S1.

This product is sold nationally through Costco stores and may also have been sold in bulk packages or as individual pieces at various dollar and bulk stores across Canada.

If the original product identity and UPC code is not evident, consumers are advised to check with their retailer to determine if they have the affected product.

Retailers and distributors are advised to stop distributing Sherwood Brands Pirate’s Gold Milk Chocolate Coins and to initiate a voluntary recall of this product. The CFIA will be working with the importers to remove the affected product from the marketplace.

There have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of these products.

Although the health risk associated with these products is considered to be low, the advisory is being issued as a result of the Government of Canada’s ongoing investigation into milk and milk-derived products sourced in/from China that may have been distributed in Canada.

The CFIA is monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.

Melamine is a chemical compound used in a number of commercial and industrial applications. Canada does not allow its use as a food ingredient.

For more information consumers and industry can call the CFIA at 1-800-442-2342 / TTY 1-800-465-7735 (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday to Friday).

Source: Canadian Food Inspection Agency

I'll have to remember the cause of this recall in the years to come. I may be able to convince my kids about future recalls involving Reese Peanut Butter Cups, Crispy Crunch, and Nacho Cheese Doritos. It's a parent's duty to confiscate all dangerous or questionable candy. I will also destroy, upon request, any gross candies such as Rockets or those disgusting, brown taffy wrapped in a colorful Halloween-themed paper.

In all honesty, if you're giving kids cheap chocolate coins that you bought from a discount superstore instead of giving out real candy, shame on you. It's like those people who used to give out apples and baked goods when I was trick-or-treating. The apples were always gross. The baked goods were always date squares. And everything was chock-full of razor blades. Good times, eh?

2 comments:

kurokitty said...

I was really proud of myself - I sprinted and then used "Y" to jump over the right hand counter and took out the raider there.

It took me several tries until I finally learned how to use the PipBoy to specifically target enemy body parts -- like their heads.

The robot is awesome!

Klopzi said...

V.A.T.S. is definitely the way to go when engaging in some Fallout 3 combat.

As for that robot, it did very little to help me. It ran into a group of raiders and they shot it up before it could do anything. I was too busy scrounging around the pharmacy at the time; otherwise, I might have helped the robot out a little.