If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Weekend Unleashed!

It's almost the weekend! It's going to be a great weekend for me. I'll be spending some quality time with my wife and kids, playing some head's up poker at Full Tilt and Titan Poker, and hitting the Xbox 360 pretty hard. I may also have a couple drinks because it seems to be the popular thing to do.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's still a full day's work ahead and I've still got some things to say...



First an update on my Xbox 360 situation: there is no more situation! My new Xbox 360 arrived yesterday morning via Purolator. Last night, I plugged the sucker in, transferred some content licenses as per Microsoft's instructions, and then started playing some games.

I played the first mission in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Great game so far! Darth Vader is pretty damned cool for a fat white guy/whiny skinny kid encased in a shiny, plastic suit. Looking at Vader as an adult, I can't help but see his get-up as a little funny looking: big helmet, retro buttons on the chest-plate, and pants a little too snug in the crotch. Yet as a lifelong Star Wars fan who holds Darth Vader in the greatest of esteem, he is so bad ass! It's times like these that I love being a nerd!

If you have any interest in Star Wars, Darth Vader, or choking the life out of friend and foe alike, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for Xbox 360 or Playstation 3...or the Nintendo Wii (meh).



I'd like to keep things poker-y around here so here's a hand I played the other night at Titan's $50 HU NLHE tables. Same Villain as yesterday; however, this hand takes place much earlier in the match. I can understand the Villain's flop play, maybe even his play on the turn, but the river completely boggles my mind.

Titan Poker 0.50/1.00, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

BB Villain ($155.20)
SB Hero ($181.20)

Preflop: Hero is in the SB with 8 9
Hero raises to 1.50, Villain calls 1.00.

Flop (3.25) 2 J A
Villain checks, Hero bets 2.00, Villain calls 2.00.

(Villain's call means either an Ace, Jack, a pocket pair, or a flush draw.)

Turn (7.25) A
Villain checks, Hero bets 5.00, Villain calls 5.00.

(Based on my read, Villain doesn't call on the turn with less than an Ace, Jack, or flush draw.)

River (17.25) 6
Villain checks, Hero bets 14.00, Villain calls 14.00

(When Villain checks the river to me, I figure that I might be able to push him off a Jack or a busted flush draw with one card higher than a 9. I don't think an Ace is likely here given that Villain has not shown any strength on any street.)

Hero shows 8 9
Villain shows A T

Villain wins 45.25 with One pair, Aces

(How does the Villain not bet or raise at any point with his hand? Why not check-raise the river? Weird. He may have played this way in an attempt to slow-down my post-flop aggression. Needless to say, it didn't work. In fact, I was able to start playing more speculative hands knowing that the Villain would let me get to showdown cheaply even if he was holding a monster hand.)




Finally, I leave you with a funny clip of Will Ferrell answering some of his fans' questions. Funny stuff...

See more Will Ferrell videos at Funny or Die


Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

bretlonder said...

Although I see what you're saying, people have weird logic. A min raise there is going to look suspicious, but too big of a raise is going to knock you off of most hands. With those two options staring you in the face, teamed with the small chance that he may be crushed by a boat or bigger A, calling isn't the WORST idea I've ever heard. It's still pretty bad though.

Klopzi said...

bretlonder -

I can see someone calling in the Villain's spot if I had a tight image and was being very selective with my bets. However, I was raising and jamming every single pot that we played. My only question is: how good a hand do you need to make a stand if your in the Villain's shoes?

I don't mind Villain's check OOP on the river - but where's the raise? I'm glad that I'm playing against players such as these, even if their occasional slowplays cause me to donk off a half-stack here and there.