If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Oh Happy Day!

Another quick post today since I'm terribly busy.

My first bit of news is definitely more video game related: my new Xbox 360 arrived this morning via courier! Have you held off on buying an Xbox 360 due to fears surrounding the infamous Red Ring of Death (RROD)? Read this post on The Greedy Gamer if you'd like to see a timeline of the life, death, and eventual replacement of my Xbox 360. I'll be testing my new Xbox 360 tonight with a little Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

In poker news, I'm really enjoying my Head's Up No-Limit Hold'em. In contrast to Gnome, I've actually been winning my fair share of coin flips and matches. There's a huge skill gap between the $400 HUNL games that Gnome frequents and the $50 HUNL that I've been playing. I'm glad that I'm learning the game while my bankroll is small and my willingness to gamble at meaningless stakes is quite big.

Here's a hand that I played last night against some random guy playing on Titan Poker.

Titan Poker 0.50/1.00, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

BB ($77.50)
SB Hero ($245.05)

(Villain and I have been playing for about 40 minutes. I started with $50, worked my way up to $105, got busted back down to $60, and have started climbing back up that hill...)

Preflop: Hero is in the SB with 9 7
Hero raises to 1.50, BB calls 1.00.

(Villain folded to a lot of my c-bets making it profitable to raise with almost any two on the button.)

Flop (3.25) Q 9 A
BB checks, Hero bets 2.00, BB calls 2.00.

(Villain generally folded to my c-bets on big card flops. His call tells me that he's got either an Ax, Qx, 88-22, or a pocket pair. I think he raises bigger hands pre-flop and I also think that he check-raises me with his strong flopped hands.)

Turn (7.25) 9
BB checks, Hero bets 5.00, BB calls 5.00.

(I pick up trips. My read on Villain is that he folds anything other than JT, Qx, 9x or Ax on the turn here. I'm betting for value here knowing that I'll likely get called by most of the Villain's range.)

River (17.25) 2
BB checks, Hero bets 20.00, BB calls 20.00

(Draws missed. I figure that Villain will fold a busted draw to any sized bet and call with most other holdings. I decide to target his likely holding of top pair. I know that the Villain hates to fold top pair. I quickly overbet the pot on the river and Villain insta-called.)

Hero shows 9 7
Villain shows A 4

Hero wins 57.25 with Three of a kind, Nines


If you haven't tried Head's Up NL, I'd recommend giving it a try. You'd be surprised at how much your poker game and hand reading skills will improve. Of course, you'd also be surprised at how much rake you're forced to pay in so little time. I highly recommend visiting RakeTheRake before going crazy with HUNL.

Have a good one! I'm off to play some video games!

No comments: