If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Does he have a set?

I'm a little too busy today to put up a full post. Check out what I'm up to after the jump.

Over the past month, I've downloaded a whole slew of videos from PokerSavvy. Although I focused on 6-max NLHE, I also downloaded videos for a number of other games.

I find that I'm quite interested by head's up poker, whether it be no-limit or limit. I have to admit that the fast pace of limit hold'em really appeals to me. And head's up limit hold'em is crazy, crazy fast. I'm sure I could make quite a bit of money if I could manage to play break-even poker while earning rakeback. Then again, I'm sure I could make more money playing head's up NLHE.

I also picked up some full-ring NLHE videos, a couple Omaha videos, a Razz video, and some 6-max limit hold'em videos. My Zune is chock-full of pokery goodness now. So even if I reduce some of my poker playing while I get reacquainted with my Xbox 360, I'll still be working on my game.



Speaking of my Xbox 360, I got word yesterday that Microsoft has officially received my console at its nearby repair depot. If all goes well, I might have my console back by Friday! If all goes as things normally go, I'll have it back next week sometime.



Don't you love it when you start off a poker session with a big win? Here's the very first hand that I played in a recent session.

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $105.95
UTG+1: $100
CO: $85
Button: $33.50
Villain (SB): $84.25
Hero (BB): $100

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 2♦ 2♠
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $3, 2 folds, Villain calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 8♠ Q♦ 2♣ ($9, 3 players)
Villain bets $4, Hero raises to $8, UTG+1 folds, Villain calls.

(Against complete unknown opponents, I decide to try for the min-raise. Why not?)

Turn: 7♥ ($25, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $13, Villain calls.

(I make my bet, Villain pauses, then types in chat - "does he have a set?". Villain eventually makes the call.)

River: 3♠ ($51, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $48, Villain calls.

(Since the Villain asked if I had a set in the chat box, I figured I could now make a pot-sized bet on the river and get called by a hand as crappy as second pair. My bet represents a set and Villain's hand has been reduced to a bluff-catcher. Of course, I'm assuming Villain hasn't slowplayed a set of his very own. In any case, Villain snap-calls my river bet.)

Results:
Final pot: $147
Hero showed 2d 2s
Villain mucks As Qh

I later went on to lose all the money I won on this hand to the player sitting on my left (AK pre-flop jam). I then lost another buy-in just for the heck of it. I guess starting a session with a bang may not be all it's cracked up to be.

Have a good one!

4 comments:

Riverrun said...

Your line screams strength and I am very surprised you got a call on the river. The lightest I think a normal player calls you on that board is 2 pair.

I'm not sure I like that line for sets but if you do it every once and a while I can see it working.

I'm folding an AQ KK and even AA against you on the river with your line all day long.

Ryan
PTGuide

Klopzi said...

I fold AQ on that river too. I'm sure most do.

It's his comment on the turn that allowed me to make the big bet. By making that comment, he allows me to value bet my hand in such a way that he might easily interpret my bet as a bluff.

I'm not used to playing sets on dry boards. Normally the flop is wet enough that I have to play my hand fast and hard. But I don't mind if an opponent allows me to make these plays on dry boards too. I make more money on a wet flop since I'd raise more with my set in this spot and get it all-in on the turn.

Freddy said...

You got $72 of his $84 playing it as you did...... not such a bad result

Klopzi said...

Freddy -

I was happy with the result. However, I could have probably jammed and gotten the last $12 as well.

Still, I was happy to get paid off.