If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Dismantled

I ended up playing more video games over the weekend than poker. I've decided to focus a little more on head's up poker until this month comes to an end. I've posted some pretty solid results at the $50 tables. And if things continue the way they've been going, I might even try the $100 HUNL tables in short order.

I've still got quite a bit of work to do on my game before I move up though. I still run into problem against certain player types. More specifically, tight-weak players who only bet or raise with the nuts really throw me off my game. Sure - it's easy-peasy once I've identified that an opponent is using this strategy. But there can be some costly pots along the way.

I think the session I played yesterday really shows a lack of concentration and a big leak in my HU game.

The session started off well...

Full Tilt
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $58
Hero: $50

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 8♣ 3♠
SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 3♥ 8♠ 8♥ ($1, 2 players)
Hero checks, SB bets $0.5, Hero calls.

Turn: 8♦ ($2, 2 players)
Hero checks, SB checks.

River: 6♦ ($2, 2 players)
Hero is all-in $49, SB calls.

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $100
Hero showed 8c 3s
SB showed 7h 7c


After this hand, I had my opponent on the ropes. He played one hand really poorly that allowed me collect another half-stack by value betting TPTK on three streets. I thought that my opponent had gone on full-blow tilt. However, I soon realized that he'd simply gone back into his shell to wait for the right time to strike...

Full Tilt
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $113.10
BB: $45.45

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with Q♣ Q♦
Hero raises to $1.5, BB calls.

Flop: 6♥ 2♦ K♦ ($3, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $2, BB calls.

Turn: Q♠ ($7, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls.

River: A♦ ($17, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $15, BB raises all-in $36.95, Hero calls.

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $90.9
BB showed 9d Jd
Hero mucks Qc Qd



I'm pretty sure I tilted ever so slightly after that hand without justifiable cause. In this next hand, I just couldn't believe that my opponent had a hand better than mine. I somehow believed him to be capable of jamming with a draw or a worse pair. Honestly, if I'd just looked at the SPR of the hand, I could have made an easy lay-down. What the heck was I thinking here?

Full Tilt
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $90.40
Hero: $67.65

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 9♥ 9♠
SB raises to $1, Hero raises to $3, SB calls.

Flop: T♥ T♣ 2♣ ($6, 2 players)
Hero bets $4, SB raises all-in $87.4, Hero calls all-in $60.65.
Uncalled bets: $22.75 returned to SB.

Turn: 7♥ ($135.3, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $135.3)

River: K♠ ($135.3, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $135.3)

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $135.3
Hero showed 9h 9s
SB showed Ts As


I still couldn't believe that my opponent would only bet or raise extremely strong hands against me. This next hand was the last I played. I figured that I was off my game and it'd be best for me to shut down my computer and take a breather. Once again, note that the SPR of the hand was an enormous 15. Still not good enough to be stacking off with an overpair against most sane opponents.

Full Tilt
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $146.20
Hero: $60.95

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 8♦ 8♣
SB calls, Hero raises to $2, SB calls.

Flop: 7♠ 4♦ 3♣ ($4, 2 players)
Hero bets $3, SB raises to $13, Hero raises all-in $58.95, SB calls.

Turn: 7♣ ($121.9, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $121.9)

River: Q♣ ($121.9, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $121.9)

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $121.9
Hero showed 8d 8c
SB showed 5s 6d


One lucky river card and a couple great flops were all that was needed for my opponent to dismantle my game. I played terribly by not properly adjusting to my opponent's play and by throwing any pretense of ABC poker out the window. Hopefully I'll things under control this evening when I hit the tables again.

Have a good one!

No comments: