If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Weekend Recap

Poker's a funny game. One minute I love it, the next minute I couldn't care less about it, and then I'm right back to loving it again! I played a little over the weekend (about 1000 hands) and I'll be playing again tonight. I've got a couple hands that are representative of how things went at the tables over the past few days.

Poker and some other stuff after the jump.



First and foremost, I finished off Half-Life 2 over the weekend. Great game and scary as all f*ck!

I've actually started playing Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and plan on playing Episode 2 later this week as well.



I've finally got Poker Tracker 3 set up and ready to go! I resolved my PT3 HUD woes last night. I played around with my HUD layout late into the night. I've just got to configure my pop-up stats to my liking and then I'll be good to go.

Tonight, I'll take PT3 for a test run at PokerStars and Party Poker - this is gonna be fun!



I've only managed to clear one third of my PokerStars 2X Bonus. At my current rate of 100 VPPs per hour of three-tabling, I've got another 32 hours of poker to play before trying my hand at Full Tilt again.



In response to the question I asked in this post, the Villain was holding TT. He'd flopped a set and decided to slowplay. The turn card and my continued betting seemed to slow down the Villain and he decided not to play his set hard.

If I'd shoved on the river, I think that the Villain might have made a crying call. But it's hard to say given how passively he played the hand. For what it's worth, I'd have bet or check-raised the flop and probably taken down a small pot.



Are you currently playing poker without rakeback? Stop it! Sign up with RakeTheRake and start earning rakeback and other rewards at many online poker rooms including PokerStars and Full Tilt.

I've been with RakeTheRake for over two years now and have been extremely happy with their site, their customer service, and the extra boost that my bankroll gets every month.

And for the record, this has NOT been a paid advertisement.



Want to know how poker went this weekend? After starting the month down a buy-in, I managed to lock in a good-sized win on Saturday.

Some hands worked out quite well...

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Villain (UTG): $100
CO: $120
Button: $100
Hero (SB): $150.40
BB: $246.90

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with T♣ T♦
Villain raises to $4, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

(I had a pretty solid table image at this point. Villain was pretty standard: semi-tight, somewhat aggressive.)

Flop: 9♦ T♥ 5♠ ($13, 3 players)
Hero bets $9, Villain calls, Button folds.

(As Fuel55 says - "Bet your sets." Given my read of the Villain, I put Villain on an overpair.)

Turn: T♠ ($31, 2 players)
Hero checks, Villain bets $21, Hero calls.

(Gave Villain one last chance to pick up a monster...)

River: K♦ ($31, 2 players)
Hero is all-in $116.4, Villain calls all-in $66.
Uncalled bets: $50.4 returned to Hero.

(I hoped that the Villain had KK or AA and shoved, hoping that I'd get my quads paid off; Villain insta-called.)

Results:
Final pot: $163
Hero showed Tc Td
Villain mucks 9h 9c

(Looks like Villain just got extremely unlucky...)


...while some other hands left me somewhat unsatisfied...

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $100
Hero (CO): $100
Villain (Villain): $113.85
SB: $253.90
BB: $130.65

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with K♠ K♥
UTG folds, Hero raises to $4, Villain raises to $12, 2 folds, Hero raises all-in $100, Villain calls.

(Villain had made a few loose calls for some big bets in the past three or four orbits. I figured that a shove on my part might look like AK and get a call from a pocket pair. Of course, I sometimes (though rarely) shove with KK pre-flop just as I would with AK.

Villain called pretty quickly. I only hoped that he didn't have the AA...)

Flop: 2♦ 3♠ 9♠ ($201.5, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $201.5)

(...or 22, 33, or 99...)

Turn: 7♥ ($201.5, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $201.5)

(...or 77...)

River: 9♣ ($201.5, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $201.5)

(...or any 9x hand for that matter...)

Results:
Final pot: $201.5
Hero showed Ks Kh
Villain showed As Ah

(Damn!)


Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

ZaneKinetic said...

"Are you currently playing poker without rakeback? Stop it! Sign up with RakeTheRake and start earning rakeback and other rewards at many online poker rooms including PokerStars and Full Tilt."

You can't have rakeback on PokerStars. But they have awesome VIP programs.

Klopzi said...

zanekinetic -

That's true: rakeback on Stars does not come in the form of real dollars. However, you do get rakeback in the form of FPPs. And, of course, there are a number of freerolls and other goodies for playing at Stars through RTR.

It's a great deal. I just wish that I hadn't already signed up with Stars.

steeser said...

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with T♣ T♦
Villain raises to $4, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

(I had a pretty solid table image at this point. Villain was pretty standard: semi-tight, somewhat aggressive.)

Flop: 9♦ T♥ 5♠ ($13, 3 players)
Hero bets $9, Villain calls, Button folds.

(As Fuel55 says - "Bet your sets." Given my read of the Villain, I put Villain on an overpair.)

How can you put him simply on an overpair based on this action? As far as your play of the hand, I tend to go for the check-raise here, but it depends on what your default action would be with a hand like AT, QJ, 87, etc....

Klopzi said...

steeser -

I'm basing my assessment of Villain having an overpair due to his pre-flop raise from UTG followed by his call of a big flop bet on a dry board.

Against a looser player, I might be able to put him on a draw and overpairs. But Villain had shown a willingness to fold to flop bets.

I guess sets are possible but I never put my opponents on sets.

But I'll admit that I typically narrow my opponents ranges based on how I might play the hand. If I have AK, AQ, overcards, or an underpair, I fold the flop, make a note on my opponent, and wait for a better spot.