If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

A Night Off and a Hand Quiz

I took the night off from poker last night. And I didn't fire up the Xbox 360 either. My wife said I looked tired. I felt tired. I went to bed early and managed a more-or-less solid eight hours sleep for the first time in five years. And now that I'm fully rested, I'm ready to hit the tables pretty hard tonight! I've got bonuses to clear, a steadily improving poker game to nurture, and a real hankering sit incredibly still save for the slight clicking motion of my right index finger.

According to Poker Dominator, I'm still about $1000 shy of making the jump to the $1/$2 NL game. Given my current win rate at $100 NL over the past couple months, I'd say I've got 30 or 40 hours of poker left to play before I'll have enough to make the jump up. That should give me enough time to clear my Stars bonus and get back to Full Tilt for some sweet poker with rakeback action. I really love rakeback. And at the $1/$2 games, rakeback should contribute quite a bit to my bottom line if I can manage to put in 5000+ hands a month.

But enough talk about what I'm going to do a month or two from now. Let's take a look at some poker hands. I won't show the results from these hands for those of you who like to play along at home. I'll post the full, un-edited hands in the next day or two and we'll see who gave the best answers.

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $200.10
Hero (UTG+1): $175.55
CO: $108.15
Villain (Button): $150.35
SB: $24.70
BB: $138.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with K♠ K♥
UTG folds, Hero raises to $4, CO folds, Villain calls, 2 folds.

(Villain seems pretty good. He's been playing quite aggressively but seems to have a good handle on the table. He's prevented me from winning a number of hands by three-betting me liberally pre-flop or raising my post-flop bets. My table image at the time of this hand is solid although Villain may see me as being pretty weak-tight given how I've handled myself against his liberal raising schedule.)

Flop: 4♣ 2♦ 4♠ ($9.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $7, Villain calls.

Turn: 3♠ ($23.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $20, Villain raises to $60, Hero ??

(Call, raise, or fold? Why? What range do you put Villain on?)


PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $102.25
UTG+1: $100.50
Villain (CO): $214.55
Hero (Button): $100
SB: $64.15
BB: $23.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with J♠ J♦
2 folds, CO raises to $3, Hero raises to $9, 2 folds, CO calls.

(Villain is pretty loose-aggressive. Fifteen minutes ago, he stacked me when my KK ran into his AA all-in pre-flop. Since then, I've been three-betting Villain's pre-flop raises quite liberally. His VP$IP was around 43% with a 35% pre-flop raise percentage.)

Flop: K♦ T♥ 6♦ ($19.5, 2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks.

(Why do you think I checked here? Was I wrong to do so?)

Turn: 7♦ ($19.5, 2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $10, CO calls.

River: 4♥ ($39.5, 2 players)
CO bets $21, Hero ??

(Villain's range of hands here? Fold, call, or raise?)

Results:
Final pot: $81.5


PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Villain (UTG): $99.50
UTG+1: $57.30
Hero (CO): $120.30
Button: $172.80
SB: $216.30
BB: $103.20

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A♦ A♠
Villain raises to $4, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $12, 3 folds, Villain calls.

(Villain has been playing a lot of hands and doesn't appear to be a very good player based on the interactions he's had with some of the other players at the table. On numbers alone, he's down on his session and playing quite loose with some mild aggression thrown into the mix.)

Flop: 5♥ Q♣ Q♥ ($25.5, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $20, Villain calls.

Turn: K♠ ($65.5, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero ??

(Villain's range? What are your plans for the rest of the hand?)


Have a great day everyone!

6 comments:

ZaneKinetic said...

I'm gonna give it my best.
Hand 1:
This is tough. If he is aggro and sees you as weak-tight he might see this is a good bluffing opportunity because it is very hard to continue on this board. A5s got there on the turn, he might be slowplaying A4s or 22 but besides that, there are not many hands he could have that have you beat. Vs a fish the Baluga theorem would apply here, but vs a villain that views us as weak-tight and is aggro I think I just ship it.

Hand 2: The flop check is perfectly fine since we're not getting much value from a lot of hands except AT/JT/Adxd etc. Check for pot control.

To me that river bet is FOS - I don't see him taking that line with a K (check flop - c/c turn). He might play flush like this. But overall I think I call here since he is a LAG.

Hand 3:
The problem with that K is that it's a great double barreling card for us and will get him to fold his 77-JJ a lot. On the other side, we want to charge FD to the max, especially if he paired up with K on turn. My plan is bet/fold that K, bet any non heart river expect for maybe K on the river because we are almost never getting any value.

Klopzi said...

zane -

Very nice analysis and well thought out. We'll see how you did today or tomorrow when I finally post the rest of the hands.

Thanks!

steeser said...

It seems I am becoming one of your more frequent responders:

Hand 1: I think I fold, though it's close. Most of the times in these situations I tend to call and hate it. I don't think he takes this line with something that you beat. If he has a mid-pair, I think he raises the flop, and if he doesn't raise the flop, he calls the turn. I also think given your history he 4 bets with JJ, QQ, or AA (only one of which you are behind). So I reluctantly fold here.

Hand 2: I call, but expect to see a hand like KQ some of the time.

Hand 3: I check the turn, intending to call most rivers, since I don't think a turn bet gets value out of the hands that you are beating here, whereas you may pick off a river bluff/blocker by checking.

drewspop said...

Hey man, been a long time. Life carries on. I have tried to post every now and then, but haven't been too successful in being consistent. Hope all is well. I will be checking back often.

Klopzi said...

steeser -

Thank you. Check back tomorrow to see how close you are. For the record, I will say that I could have used your advice on Hand 1 at the time I played it...

Klopzi said...

drewspop!

Great to hear from you.

Here's hoping that you find a way to re-integrate poker back into your day to day life. Lord knows I struggle with that constantly, hence my frequent hiatuses from poker.