If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

More Poker, More Tweaking...

I put in a good session at Full Tilt last night. Things went well and I finished up on the night. It was one of those nights when I happened to flop some big hands at the right time against the right opponents. Aside from playing poker, I spent a good chunk of the night revising my Poker Tracker 3 HUD layout again. After having played a session with the new layout, I think I'll be making some more revisions this evening.

There's an ongoing battle between being able to see important HUD stats at a glance and creating too much clutter on your virtual poker tables. The HUD layout I designed last night gave me quite a bit of information but I couldn't see the table for all the stats I was tracking. I also found that there were a number of stats that I like to have readily available that I was missing.

I'll be making some changes to the HUD layout discussed in this post from last week:

  • I'm going to enable HUD transparency. I'm hoping this will help to reduce the claustrophobic feeling I get while playing poker with a number of stats crowding the screen.

  • I'm going to place all HUD stats in one big box (per player). By keeping all players' stats centralized in one HUD element, I should be able to greatly reduce clutter.

  • I'm going to remove the "Went to Showdown" and "Fold to Turn C-Bet" stats from my HUD. I'll make these available in the pop-up stats since I feel that do have value.

  • I'm going to start tracking the following stats on my HUD: Cold Call Pre-flop, Raise Steal Attempt, Call 3-Bet, and street-by-street Fold to Bet numbers.

  • I'm going to clean-up the pop-up stats displayed per player. I'm going to avoid replicating any stats already displayed as part of the HUD.
Finding, testing, and accepting a new HUD layout is a lengthy process of constant refinement. I know that there's an ideal layout for me: I just need to find it. I really hope that my newest HUD iteration is the one that does it for me.

Tonight I may play at Full Tilt or I may take the night off. Sleep has been hard to come by over the past couple nights so we'll see how I feel come 10 PM this evening.

Let me leave you with a hand that best exemplifies why I hate playing draws out of position against aggressive players...

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $114.10
UTG+1: $24.90
Hero (CO): $100
Villain (Button): $119.95
SB: $78
BB: $100.90

(Villain was a strong player. He'd been LAG-ing it up a bit and controlling the flow of the game though he hadn't yet accumulated a big stack. I was preparing to leave the table since I knew that I'd be unable to win any money at the table with this particular Villain sitting on my left.)

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with Q♣ J♠
2 folds, Hero raises to $4, Villain calls, SB calls, BB folds.

(Given that the Villain liked to float pre-flop and on the flop, I think my raise was a little loose here. I was trying to use my squeaky-tight table image to take down the blinds or win a pot with on the flop. )

Flop: 8♠ K♥ T♣ ($13, 3 players)
SB bets $4, Hero calls, Button calls.

(I picked up the draw and flat-called the SB's bet. I think a raise would have been preferable. There's no reason to think that either the Villain or the SB couldn't put me on a big hand. I should have raised to take control of the hand and to isolate the SB. Instead, my call tells both of my opponents that my hand is weak or that I'm on a draw.)

Turn: 2♠ ($25, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $16, Villain raises to $48, SB folds, Hero folds.

(After calling on the flop, my turn bet looked like a bluff. Although I'm sure that the Villain had some piece of the board, I think that he'd have made this raise with as little as a single pair. If I'd raised on the flop, I'd have know where I stood in the hand. As played, I had to fold to the Villain's raise since he was putting me to the test for my whole stack and I wasn't getting odds to continue.)


Have a good one!

No comments: