If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

LAGs and VIPs

Last night ended up being more about downloading poker training videos and less about poker. I also didn't get much of a chance to just sit and relax with my wife. I really hate it when that happens and it's something I'm looking to correct this evening. I'll play poker tonight but I'm going to make damned sure that my wife and I get some quality time too.

I ended up playing a short half-hour session at half-past eleven last night. The few hands that I saw were enough to earn me my PokerStars SilverStar VIP status for a second month in row. And I managed to bank one and a half buy-ins over the session too! It's always nice when things work out.

My session was really defined by a couple hands; I've posted both hands below. The second hand was punctuated by some risky, gut-feeling play against a really aggressive player. In my defense, this guy was not the best of the best in terms of poker skills. He was a real maniac (70/35/3.3) and I nearly cleaned him out in these two hands:

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $17.65
UTG+1: $200.85
Maniac (CO): $141.35
Hero (Button): $100
SB: $106.40
BB: $50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with A♠ K♥
2 folds, Maniac calls, Hero raises to $5, 2 folds, Maniac calls.

Flop: 8♥ 9♥ 2♥ ($11.5, 2 players)
Maniac bets $7, Hero calls.

(I opt to flat call the Villain. I've got a flush draw and I believe that my A-high has some showdown value against this particular Villain. I didn't want to raise and scare the Villain off. If I was sure that he'd have called or re-raised a flop raise on my part, I would have gladly gotten all the money in on the flop.)

Turn: 4♥ ($25.5, 2 players)
Maniac checks, Hero checks.

(I need to disguise my hand's strength a bit. This particular Maniac might fire again on the river if he believes I'm weak.)

River: 9♣ ($25.5, 2 players)
Maniac bets $13, Hero raises to $40, Maniac calls.

(Maniac makes a pretty brutal bet out of position. Easy value raise on my part and Villain insta-calls.)

Results:
Final pot: $105.5
Hero shows As Kh
Maniac mucks Jc 9d


PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Maniac (UTG): $169.05
Hero (CO): $143.50
Button: $112.50
SB: $71
UTG: $17.65
BB: $105.30

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with T♦ Q♦
Maniac raises to $2, Hero calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

(I guess I could have raised to isolate the Maniac here. But the rest of the table was really, really tight and passive. I was planning on playing my hand like a drawing hand and I wanted others in the pot. The Big Blind in this hand was a pretty standard player. I wasn't too worried about him since Maniac would likely force BB to tip his hand strength early, leaving me ample warning to fold a losing hand.)

Flop: T♥ 6♠ 6♦ ($6.5, 3 players)
BB checks, Maniac bets $9, Hero calls, BB folds.

(Maniac's bet says - "I see three cards on the table and I happen to have two cards in my hand." I make the call here because it's unlikely that the board's hit the Maniac's hand and I'm probably best. Given the Villain's playing style and the fact that I made the Villain look ridiculous in the last big hand we played together, I'm planning on calling the Villain down unless he gets too crazy.)

Turn: J♣ ($24.5, 2 players)
Maniac bets $48, Hero calls.

(I still think I'm ahead. I don't think that the Maniac has a 6 but he should let me know on the river. I've invested $59 of my $143 stack. Although the Villain's disgusting overbet on the turn has forced me to invest more than 1/3 of my stack, I don't plan on calling another big bet on the river unless I improve. If the Maniac has the guts to shove on the river, he's got me. But I'm willing to call off another bet on the river if I'm getting good odds on my call.)

River: 9♥ ($120.5, 2 players)
Maniac bets $24, Hero calls.

(I'm being laid about 6:1 to make this call on the river. Do I think that I'm ahead here more than one in seven times? I really do. When I make the call, I have a strong feeling that the Villain's gonna show me a bluff or a crappy pocket pair.)

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $166.50
Maniac showed Ts 2c (If he's shoved the river, his play would have worked...)
Hero showed Td Qd


My wife and I are guests at a wedding tomorrow. The rest of the weekend will be spent relaxing with my family and a little poker. I'll most likely hit up Full Tilt until the end of the month. However, I'm a little interested to check the traffic numbers at both PokerPlex (now on the iPoker network) and InterPoker (now accepting Moneybookers). Both of these sites offer a ton of extras (i.e. cash) for playing at their tables. But it's a moot point unless there's enough traffic to warrant my attention.

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

ZaneKinetic said...

Congrats on silver level and nice hands sir, well played!

Klopzi said...

zanekinetic -

Thanks. I'm hoping that I'll someday be able to hit GoldStar status on a regular basis. But it's just not possible right now given the stakes I play and how little time I have to throw at poker.

Sean Swift said...

Maniac's bet says - "I see three cards on the table and I happen to have two cards in my hand."

HAHAHAHA...that's fantastic. Admittedly, I've been guilty of that once or twice.