If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Hand Quiz: Betting the River

For all the bad that can occur when you're playing poker, there's always that chance to catch a big hand at the right time. Newer players to the game of poker will try and slowplay big hands in the hopes of "getting paid off". The sad truth is that you'll rarely get paid off unless your opponents have good hands themselves, though that's not always the case at low stakes poker.

That being said, I have a hand that I played the other night that shows just how easy and how valuable it can be to bet your hands when you connect. If I try to slowplay here, there are a lot of bad things that can kill my action or cost me my fair share of the pot. I do have a couple questions following the hand posted below.

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero (UTG): $100
UTG+1: $107.45
CO: $164.10
Button: $20.90
SB: $141.65
Villain (BB): $167.90

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J♦ A♠
Hero raises to $4, 4 folds, Villain calls.

(Villain was pretty nondescript. I hadn't noticed anything good or bad about Villain's game over the course of the session; perhaps he played a little loose.)

Flop: T♦ 4♦ Q♥ ($8.5, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $7, Villain calls.

(A pretty good flop for a c-bet in position against a single opponent. Villain's call meant that I was done with the hand unless I hit my gutshot draw. I wouldn't have been ecstatic pairing on the turn though and would have tried to see a cheap showdown.)

Turn: K♣ ($22.5, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $18, Villain calls.

(Bingo! I hit my gutshot draw. I had to bet in this spot to charge the Villain if he was on a draw; any Ace or Jack on the river would have also killed my action. When Villain called my bet, I had to put him on a decent hand or a poorly played draw. Most players wouldn't call a pot-sized bet on the turn with only a flush draw though I've been wrong many times on this account.)

River: 7♠ ($58.5, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $50, Villain calls.

(I had no idea what Villain had at this point. His betting seemed to indicate a draw but he could have had a hand and was too afraid to bet. I could have bet small on the river to get a call but I figured that the Villain would fold to a small bet just as easily as he would to a big bet. I could have pushed the river but I wasn't sure if the Villain would call if I overbet the pot on the river. I decided that near pot-sized bet would get called as long as the Villain wasn't holding a busted draw.)

Results:
Final pot: $158.5
Villain showed ??
Hero showed Jd As

What did the Villain have? I will tell you that I won the hand - no split pot. But I'd like to know what most of you would put the Villain on. I wasn't expecting a call on the river but was surprised when the Villain pushed his chips into the pot and insta-mucked when I showed the nuts. I'd also like to know how you would size your river bet. Did I miss value by not pushing against a typical Villain in this spot?

Have a good one!

6 comments:

WillWonka said...

Tough one...

My vote would be for AQs or TT

Klopzi said...

Thanks Will.

Freddy said...

K 10 or Q 10?
Probably Q 10

but ... it could be anything.

Klopzi said...

Thanks Freddy.

steeser said...

KJ

Klopzi said...

Thanks steeser.

Check today's post for the answer.