If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Zune State

I didn't really play that much poker over the weekend. I was looking to clear between one thousand and fifteen-hundred hands but only managed six hundred hands. I was a little too tired to play and took the opportunity to spend some extra time with my wife. I also made a small purchase yesterday afternoon...

After visiting my local FutureShop on Saturday and looking over the various portable video players available, I came to realize that very few offer the features available on the Microsoft Zune (80 GB). I made a decision right then and there that I'd pick up a Zune with my $250 FutureShop gift certificate from PokerStars (coming August/September 2008).

Yesterday morning, I checked my poker slush fund (money withdrawn from bankroll used to buy frivolous gifts for myself and family) and realized that I had enough money sitting there to buy a Zune.

Yesterday afternoon, I bought my Zune. I haven't really used it too much just yet but I think it's a really cool device. I can watch poker training videos, movies, TV shows, listen to music and FM radio, and view pictures all from the palm of my hand. The Zune's huge 3.2" screen is big enough to allow me to pick out a lot of detail. The sound is great. The software interface - on the Zune and on my PC - are top notch. It's a shame the Zune Marketplace doesn't seem to work for Canadians but that's okay: I'm already used to being neglected as a Canadian Xbox 360 user. But I've heard rumours that music and video content is available online for free.

My Zune's currently loaded with three training videos from PokerSavvy (
Foucault's 6-max Flop Fundamentals series), the first two episodes of ESPN's 2008 WSOP coverage, and a bunch of music. I'll be putting on more content as soon as I get the chance; I've only used 2 GB out of the 80 GB available. I do have the entire fourth season of High Stakes Poker at home so that should eat up a bit of my free space. I think I'll also put Rounders on my Zune. And, of course, I'm going to upgrade my PokerSavvy account and download a whole lot of poker training videos. It's time to kick my game up a notch!

Speaking of my game, I think the following hand best describes my weekend at the tables. Rather than complain about bad luck and donkey play, I'm just happy that I'm finally starting to get my money is as the favourite again. I really hope that I can continue that trend over the coming months.

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Villain (UTG): $69.85
Maniac (UTG+1): $100
CO: $236.75
Button: $116.80
SB: $272.05
Hero (BB): $135.15

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A♦ A♥
UTG calls, UTG+1 raises to $5, 3 folds, Hero raises to $12, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

(Villain was a super fish and UTG+1 was a maniac. I didn't want to flat call the Maniac's raise out of position against both players. But I was willing to make a slightly smaller re-raise hoping that the maniac might get a little frisky after the Villain called my re-raise. Only the Villain called but I liked my position: great hand, great SPR.)

Flop: 4♥ T♥ 3♠ ($29.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $20, UTG raises all-in $57.85, Hero calls.

(I was committed to the pot - time to dance!)

Turn: 8♥ ($145.2, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $145.2)

(Flush draw got there but I've got a redraw to the nuts...)

River: T♠ ($145.2, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $145.2)

(Top pair just became trips...)

Results:
Final pot: $145.2
Hero showed Ad Ah
UTG showed Td Qh

(Damn! Oh well, I didn't want the Villain's stupid money anyway...)


Have a great day everyone!

No comments: