If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

What's the Opposite of a Monster Session?

What goes up must come down. A valuable lesson in life and at the poker tables. As hard as I hit the flops a couple nights ago, last night proved to play out in quite the opposite manner. I knew I was in trouble when I found myself playing over 30% of hands at three tables all at the same time. My game plan relies on starting out slowly, building up a solid image that will allow me to steal big pots later in the session. But when I pick up a never-ending stream of pocket pairs and suited broadway cards in late position, what can I do? I've got to play the hands dealt to me even if my table image might suffer a little because of it.

Unfortunately, I don't wear "LAG" all that well - and my opponents knew it!

I only played 260 hands last night at PokerStars. I knew things were going to end up badly fifteen minutes into my session. A constant stream of raise-worthy cards and piss-poor flops saw me bleeding chips all over the place. My opponents weren't 3-betting me: they were floating me, they were calling my raises, and they weren't folding after the flop. When you raise a hand from the CO or button (cards don't really matter) and the flop comes down dry as a desert, you need your opponents to fold to your c-bets. Otherwise, you'll come across as a chip-spewing LAG who'll bluff at all pots on the flop and fold to big bets on the turn.

My poor table image encouraged players to jump into pots with me. I found myself getting floated or check-raised on most hands. Unfortunately, the flops were missing me so badly that I couldn't really fight back. I'm not that big a fan of raising or 3-betting unknown opponents with no pair and no draw.

Of course, a little bad luck and losing a buy-in early in a session tends to make me tighten up and play solid ABC poker until I've regained some form of table image. And though I managed to win back some of my losses, I still ended the night down just under a buy-in. But I can't really complain: I've had a good month and I'm quite happy with my overall results.

I'll be back with July's recap tomorrow. However, I'd like to leave you with a hand that I played last night. How would you play this?

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero (UTG): $100
UTG+1: $205
CO: $97
Button: $83.90
SB: $171.80
Villain (BB): $227.20

(I've been at the table for roughly 50 hands. I've got a good table image in terms of VP$IP - I haven't gotten out of line on any hands. I've shown down one hand to the Villain where we both flopped a full house on a JJJ board but his pocket pair beat mine (44 vs. 77). Villain seems to be pretty solid (19% VP$IP, 16% PFR) overall.)

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J♦ J♣
Hero raises to $4, 4 folds, BB raises to $13, Hero ??

(Raise, Call, or Fold? Why?)

Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

steeser said...

One line of thought is to 4 bet to $36 and fold to a shove, as his 5 bet range has to be AA, KK, QQ and AK, with it strongly weighted to the first 2.

Another school of thought is to call the 3 bet, since you are in position, and react to the flop and his flop play.

I probably flat call given his stats, as he is pretty TAG. If he were something like 27/21, I may 4 bet with the intention of calling a shove.

Klopzi said...

steeser -

Noted. I'll save my thoughts for next week in order to give others a chance to answer.

Thanks!

Freddy said...

If villain's range for raising is 1010 upwards and AQ upwards then their are only three hands he's in front with.
So, call but on the basis that JJ is a small(ish) pair there are a lot of flops and post flop bets that you have to fold to...

Or - reraise and review on his response...

I'm more inclined to call - but any flop without overcards is ripe for a bet and then review again...

Klopzi said...

freddy -

Noted. Thx.