If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Whatever...

Have you ever had one of those sessions where nothing went your way? Pocket pairs fail to hit sets? Your pre-flop raises get shoved back in your face with large and frequent 3-bets? Continuation bets get called, raised, or check-raised? And above all else, very few of your hands connect with the flop, forcing you to make a choice between bluffing for stacks or sheepishly folding?

I just had one of those nights and it sucked.

There really wasn't much I could do last night. I wasn't getting many good hands and I didn't have any solid reads on my opponents. I was getting my fair share of raising hands; it's funny how hand values shrink when facing a big re-raise. Many of my opponents were TAGs and LAGs so the tables' dynamics were not a surprise. I just wish that I'd had a little more ammunition to fire back. I resisted the temptation to make stupid moves and stack off with second or third pair: does this mean that I'm finally learning? Or am I becoming too passive?

I'd post some bad beats from last night but there were none. In fact, I only hit top pair (or better) hands five times last night (out of about 60 flops seen). I won each of those hands; they were all small wins though. Other than that, I spent my night folding to my opponents various bets, pokes, and prods.

So let's take a look at a hand I played a few days ago. I'd like to know what you would do in my shoes. All you need to know about this hand is that the Villain seemed to be a solid player and the SB was a total LAG.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $100
UTG+1: $102.15
Hero (CO): $148.30
Villain (Button): $113.90
SB: $321.70
BB: $100

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with Q♠ J♥
2 folds, Hero raises to $3, Villain calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 5♥ Q♦ 9♣ ($7.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $5, Villain calls.

Turn: Q♣ ($17.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, Villain bets $12, Hero calls.

River: 4♦ ($41.5, 2 players)
Hero ??

(Check or bet? What range of hands do you put the Villain on? How likely is Hero ahead in this spot?)




I may take the night off tonight to play my Xbox 360. I've put in a lot of hands this month and a night off could be nice. I'm still a little tired and I drained the last of my energy drink reserves last night. Of course, my evening plans can always change if inspiration strikes!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

David said...

Obviously he's only ahead with 5 hands - but you ought to be able to rule out 44 because surely he folds those post flop even if he plays them pre.
From the flop and turn bets I'd say he has 55 or 99

or air

Klopzi said...

David -

I was thinking along the same lines, though also including KQ and AQ.

Check out the next post to see what the Villain actually had in the hand.

And thanks for the comment.