If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Session Review #19: Piece O' Cake

I'm not going to say much today. I managed to find tables at Party and Stars last night. I was a little distracted while playing: I was watching TV with my wife during my session. I was also pretty tired after very little sleep the night before. Luckily, the cards took it easy on me. Very few difficult decisions came my way and I managed to come out ahead whenever I found myself making poor decisions.

I've got three hands below that show you the type of session I had last night.

In this first hand, Villain is a LAG (53/29 VP$IP/PFR). There's nothing quite like raking a big pot without a fight.

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $108.65
CO: $39.85
Button: $143.45
SB: $182.90
BB: $213.35

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with A♠ A♣
Hero raises to $4, 3 folds, BB raises to $7, Hero raises to $18, BB calls.

Flop: 5♦ 8♦ 5♠ ($36.5, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $26, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: $26 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $36.5

Twenty minutes later, I get to play another big hand against the very same LAG.

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $163.10
Hero: $101.95
SB: $22.40
BB: $189

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with K♣ K♠
UTG raises to $5, Hero raises to $15, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: J♣ 8♦ T♥ ($31.5, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $20, UTG folds.
Uncalled bets: $20 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $31.5

Ten minutes later, the table had started to fill back up with some new players. I was getting ready to close up shop for the night but figured that a few more hands couldn't hurt.

PokerStars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $154
Hero: $115.40
Button: $106.90
SB: $178
BB: $98.50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with J♣ K♠
UTG folds, Hero raises to $4, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

(The player on the button was new to the table. The SB seemed to be a pretty solid player based on the last 40 minutes of play. I wasn't happy to be playing OOP in a multi-way pot with KJ, especially when I knew nothing about the button.)

Flop: 3♣ A♥ K♣ ($13, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

(I wanted to bet here but I chickened out.)

Turn: A♣ ($13, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

(My hand was probably still good on the turn...but I chickened out again. I was tired and I probably should have ended my session earlier.)

River: 2♣ ($13, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, Button bets $8, SB folds, Hero calls.

(Ok, so I hit the seventh nuts on the river though I was pretty sure that I was good. I decided to check on the river and hope that the button would make a bet to steal the pot. I didn't think that I'd get called by anyone if I made the bet myself. Thankfully, the button took a stab at the pot.)

Results:
Final pot: $29
Hero showed Jc Ks
Button showed 4c 4h

(I played the hand terribly and got rewarded. I should have bet the flop and been done with it. I've got to remember that many players cold-call raises with pocket pairs. I need to give my opponents the chance to fold on the flop. And I've got to stop worrying about being raised or check-raised off of my hands. I hate everything about this hand.)

I may play some more poker tonight, though it's possible I'll fire up my 360 instead. I made some awful plays last night and I got extremely lucky to walk away a winner. Much of my desire to play poker depends on how well I feel I'm playing, inspiration I get from reading other blogs, and my ongoing poker discussions with MJ.

Right now, video games are in the lead for tonight's scheduled entertainment.



Just a quick bankroll/weight loss update:
  • Total weight lost since June 2, 2008: 15 lbs.
  • Total money won since June 2, 2008: $120
I'm much more impressed and happy with my weight loss at this point in time. I only need to lose another 8 lbs. to get my BMI below the dreaded 30 (the point at which one goes from being overweight to obese). From there, it's a short trip to skinny town.



Have a good one!

No comments: