If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Props, Rakeback, and Hand Quizzes

First and foremost, let me join in the praises being sung by countless poker bloggers and poker afficianados out there by saying, "Way to go Iggy!". It's great to think that one of our own (though I know I'm not in the same league as one such as Iggy) could play in the Main Event on a simple whim and outlast so many other great poker players. It's not that I doubted Iggy's abilities as a poker player: it's just a simple matter of odds.

Another congrats goes out to Foucault a.k.a. The Poker Philosopher a.k.a. Andrew Brokos for making it to Day 4. Foucault is currently sitting at a whopping $566K! Unbelievable! Andrew is an extremely smart and solid high-stakes poker player and blogger. If things continue to fall his way, we may just see him at this year's final table. Good luck Andrew!

Speaking of poker, I ended up hitting the tables for just under an hour last night. I was exhausted at the time. Most of my readers would tell me that I shouldn't have played as tired as I was. I paid the price by making a few mistakes here and there You know what? Let's just take a look at some of the hands I played.

Rather than post the full hand histories, I'm going to leave it to my readers to figure out how they'd play these hands out. If you choose to comment, I'd like to know what you'd do immediately in the hand. I'd also like to know how you'd handle later streets where applicable.

I'll post the "answers" after the weekend.

Hand 1: AJ vs. ??

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $179.24
UTG+1: $147.29
CO: $510.79
Button: $60
Hero: $113.23
BB: $96.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with A♥ J♠
3 folds, Button calls, Hero raises to $5, BB folds, Button calls.

(You have no reads on the Villain. You think he's played an orbit or two but you're not quite sure since you've spent the last five minutes trying to find something to watch on TV.)

Flop: A♦ K♦ 7♠ ($11, 2 players)
Hero bets $6, Button raises to $14, Hero ??

(Fold, Call, or Raise and why?)


Hand 2: A4s vs. ??

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $129.78
Button: $170.74
SB: $296.21
BB: $392.88

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is UTG with 4♦ A♦
Hero raises to $4, 2 folds, BB calls.

(Villain has lost $200 since you sat down at the table. This is the fourth hand that he's played in a row; he held AA, JJ, and JJ in his previous three hands.)

Flop: K♦ 3♠ 5♦ ($8.5, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $6, BB calls.

Turn: 2♣ ($20.5, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero ??

(Fold, Call, or Raise and why?)


Hand 3: QJo vs. ??

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $189.95
CO: $115.80
Hero: $102.40
SB: $99.55
BB: $176.30

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with Q♣ J♥
UTG raises to $3, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

(No strong reads on the Villain, though he appears to pretty solid. He may also be playing slightly loose pre-flop but appears to tighten up on later streets when the betting gets big.)

Flop: 9♦ 4♥ T♦ ($12, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $7, Hero ??

(Fold, Call, or Raise and why?)


I plan on putting in some more hands at $100 NLHE over the weekend. I'm still quite a ways from taking another shot at the $200 NLHE games. I'm just enjoying playing poker for the sake of playing poker now. It's such a refreshing change from how I've normally played the game.



For what it's worth, I'm also reading a couple NLHE books at the moment:




I haven't started the Harrington book yet. But I can say that the Angel Largay book is quite different from other NLHE books - in a good way. He brings up a lot of stuff that seems pretty basic but is quite valuable to think about while playing. I'll have to see what I think of the book as a whole when I'm finished. I'm pretty sure that I'll be a better NLHE player after reading Largay's book.



I still haven't set up Poker Tracker 3. I'm a little concerned with various software issues at the moment and have decided to hold off on using it until a more stable release comes out. Maybe I should've taken WillWonka's advice and tried Holdem Manager.



By the way, sorry for all the ad posts that appeared on the site this morning. If I had just a few more people sign up with RakeTheRake, I could probably give up on writing review posts entirely. However, my kids' university tuitions won't pay themselves.

If you are interested in rakeback, let me just say that I fully endorse RakeTheRake. They are the greatest rakeback site out there; I've been extremely happy with all my dealings with RakeTheRake. And don't forget that you can now get rakeback at Poker Stars through RakeTheRake.

If you're looking to pad your bankroll with some rakeback and some great monthly freerolls, sign up with RakeTheRake here.



Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

WillWonka said...

Hand 1 - I'm playing fast and putting in a raise although I have been criticized for this.. especially with no reads.

Hand 2 - no question, I would bet; but maybe only 1/2 pot.. to appear weaker. I wouldn't want to lose value here even though you are kindof freerolling here. If he folds, so be it.

Hand 3 - I would have folded preflop most likely.. given board and position, I think just calling is ok here and see what he does on turn.

Never too late to try HEM. Especially now when there is a free unlimited trial going on.