If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Presto, Gold, Reads, and Coolers

I ended up staying with Full Tilt for the second night in a row. The games have been pretty good and I like getting a little rakeback to help the cause. But good tables do not guarantee a winning night. I put up a good fight (as you'll see after the jump) but ultimately finished down 20 BB over 200 hands.

Before I show you a hand that I think I played well, I thought I'd show you a cooler that took a good chunk of change from me. Presto is Gold? Not for me...

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $120.65
UTG+1: $82.20
CO: $113.45
Button: $59.15
SB: $110.15
BB: $15

(My current image at the table was a laggy 33/29. I hit a bunch of premium hands to start the session and noticed that everyone would fold to the smallest of pre-flop raises. So I just kept stealing pots until this hand came up. I had no reads on the Button in this hand except that he was a little tight like many at the table.)

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A♥ J♠
Hero raises to $4, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 5♥ J♥ J♣ ($13.5, 3 players)
Hero bets $10, UTG+1 folds, Button raises all-in $55.15, Hero calls.

Turn: 9♦ ($123.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $123.8)

River: 8♥ ($123.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $123.8)

Results:
Final pot: $123.8
Hero showed Ah Js
Button showed 5s 5c


I really can't complain about that last hand. I played it well, he played it well, and I was guaranteed to get stacked. I did something similar to a guy the other night when I flopped bottom set against top two pair.

I'd rather focus on this next hand. I think it shows that my game is starting to evolve for the better. And you know what? Maybe Presto is Gold after all...?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $100
UTG+1: $111.55
CO: $56.55
Button: $100
SB: $203.40
BB: $94.15

(CO had played a pretty standard game. Not enough hands to get a rock-solid read (which are difficult to come by at the low stakes tables) though he seemed fairly predictable over the course of my short session.)

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 5♦ 5♥
Hero raises to $3, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

(CO's call here most likely meant a pocket pair (TT-22) or maybe some big suited broadway cards. I'm not that great at putting players on ranges based on reads or Poker Tracker numbers.)

Flop: 4♦ 3♠ J♦ ($9.5, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $6, CO calls, BB folds.

(CO seemed comfortable folding to c-bets so he must have had something. I assumed he wasn't creative enough to float me here with air. Then again, I've been wrong so many times in this regard. I put CO's most likely holding at a pocket pair (TT or less) or a flush draw.)

Turn: J♣ ($21.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $14, CO calls.

(When the board paired on the turn, I figured this was a good spot to represent top pair turned trips on a drawy board. Betting would be standard in this spot for most players so I followed through with a c-bet on the turn. The CO's call didn't change much. If he was slow-playing trips or a boat, good for him. In any case, I figured I was probably done with the hand barring a good river card.)


River: A♥ ($49.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $35, CO folds.
Uncalled bets: $35 returned to Hero.

(A good scare card hit on the river. I figured that I had a good chance of getting the CO to fold some of the pocket pairs that beat me (if that was indeed the case). I didn't think that the CO had a busted flush draw given his turn call.

In the end, I think my assessment of a pocket pair was probably good here - the Villain took a bit of time to think before folding. 66-TT were all quite reasonable given CO's play and Poker Tracker history.)


Results:
Final pot: $49.5


The second hand was pretty exciting. I generally find myself getting called or raised in this spot. But that last opponent seemed really predictable and easy to read. I'd be interested to hear what some of my readers think of this last hand.

I'll most likely continue playing at Full Tilt tonight. Officially, I'm a losing player at Full Tilt and I'd like to get back to even by month's end. Maybe I should try to achieve this same goal at other sites that I frequent? I'm in a big hole at Titan Poker after playing there during my bad run at the $200 NLHE games.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

WillWonka said...

All of that theory and speculation on the 2nd hand is good; but what I really liked is that you acted on it.

Bravo!!

nh

Klopzi said...

@Will:

Thx.