If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

New Software and Some Slowplays

After eating dinner and getting the kids to bed, I purchased and downloaded my copy of Poker Tracker 3. Although I'd heard many bad things about the newest incarnation of the world's most popular piece of poker software, Matt Maroon said that he liked it. I don't know Matt personally but he really knows his stuff when it comes to poker and software.

After installing my new software, I set up Poker Tracker 3 to import all of my saved hand histories from the past six months or so. The import took very little time. Unfortunately, PT 3 had issues identifying 6-max tables from the iPoker network (i.e. Titan Poker). If this were any product other than Poker Tracker, I'd be worried that I'd mispent my money. However, I trust Poker Tracker Pat and I know he'll get PT 3 fixed up and solid in no time.



And now, let's get this site back on the right track with some hand histories. Over the weekend, I encountered all sorts of players. What surprised me were the number of players willing to let me catch up in a hand and beat them to the punch. I don't remember if this is typical of $50 NLHE or if the games are somehow getting better. I'm not complaining though: it's quite nice to have someone hand you the pot.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $59.90
Hero (UTG+1): $50
CO: $49.20
Button: $23.80
SB: $49.50
Villain (BB): $121.55

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with A♦ T♣
UTG folds, Hero raises to $2, 3 folds, Villain calls.

(No reads on the Villain here. Table had been playing a little tight for the past few orbits though.)

Flop: Q♣ J♠ 4♦ ($4.25, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $3, Villain calls.

(Standard c-bet on my part. Villain's call meant that I was done with the hand unless I picked up an Ace or a King.)

Turn: K♠ ($10.25, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $7, Villain raises to $14, Hero raises to $25, Villain calls.

(Bingo! I thought about jamming the pot on the turn after the Villain's re-raise but I didn't want to scare him off. Typically I get over-excited with my big hands and lose my customers. I could have re-raised a little more but I figured that the Villain would be committed to the pot regardless. Still, maybe a raise to $30-$35 might have been better.)

River: 2♦ ($60.25, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero is all-in $20, Villain calls.

Results:
Final pot: $100.25
Hero showed A♦ T♣
Villain mucks J♣ Q♦


Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $15.50
Villain (CO): $40.85
Hero (BTN): $50.95
SB: $37.10
BB: $50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 9♠ T♥
UTG folds, CO calls, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, CO calls.

(Table was tight; I had a tight image; I felt like raising my connector on the button. I'm trying to work on loosening up a little and just letting the cards fall where they may.)

Flop: Q♦ J♣ 8♦ ($4.75, 2 players) CO checks, Hero bets $3, CO raises to $6, Hero calls.

(Flop the straight and Villain check-raises me? Nice. I've got two more streets to get value off of the Villain. I'll admit that I wasn't thinking too much about the Villain's possible holdings: my flopped straight had blinded me with its magnificence.)

Turn: 2♥ ($16.75, 2 players)
CO bets $7, Hero raises to $19, CO calls.

(Diamond flush doesn't come in and CO comes out betting on the turn. I discount the possiblity of a flush draw and start leaning towards Villain holding a set or two pair - probably QJ.)

River: 9♥ ($54.75, 2 players)
CO checks, Hero is all-in $23.95, CO calls all-in $13.85.
Uncalled bets: $10.1 returned to Hero.

(Given the way the hand played, I doubted that the 9 made a lick of difference to the outcome.)

Results:
Final pot: $82.45
Hero showed 9♠ T♥
Villain mucks A♣ A♥

(Villain limp-called with AA? Really? Is that the new hotness now? This hand demonstrates why you should always raise (or limp-reraise) with AA pre-flop. You may only win a small pot by tipping everyone off to the the true strength of your hand - but you'll also save yourself from losing a big pot when you inadvertently let your opponents hands catch the perfect cards to bust you.)



Tonight I'll either play a little poker or some Lost Odyssey. I'm a little tired due to baby-related issues. I'll also have to continue looking into Poker Tracker 3 to see if I can get that puppy up and running.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

WillWonka said...

FYI.. PT Pat is really not involved with PT3 (AFIK).. It is mostly the PokerAce guys. I do believe that he is still around doing PT2 support.

Having said that, PT still stands on its reputation and you know that they will get everything going.

Klopzi said...

Will -

Oops. I didn't know that PokerTracker Pat wasn't directly involved. Hopefully he'll take a more direct role once PT2 is phased out.