If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

It's a Bizarro World

Sometimes I just don't get it. For months on end, I lose most coin-flips when it really matters. I bubble out of sit-n-go after sit-n-go. My bankroll goes from impressive to mediocre. My poker skills go from seemingly solid to flat-out terrible. And my confidence in my ability to pull off a winning session disappears completely.

Monday evening, it's like I was living in Bizarro world. With the help of a friend and some refreshing drinks, I had a fairly solid night at the tables.

My first stop was Titan Poker's $20 PLO (6-max) tables. In the span of an hour, I played very few hands but held my own. Highlights include:

  • Raising first-in on the button with K♥ 9♥ 9♦ J♥. I got called by both the SB and BB. Flop came down 9♠ 6♥ 3♥. BB pots it, I re-pot, SB folds, and BB calls. Turn completes my second nut-flush draw and we get it all the money in. River is another heart; my flush beats the BB's busted straight draw.

  • A couple orbits later, I find myself sitting in the SB with A♥ A♦ A♣ 8♣. The same villain as the hand above raises and the tight button flat calls. I decide that I wouldn't mind getting heads-up against the Villain given my hand. I pot it, Villain calls, and the button folds. Flop comes Q♣ T♥ 5♠. I check-raise the Villain all-in and he shows me his flopped set of Queens. I miss the lone remaining ace and both of my backdoor draws and lose a good-sized pot.

  • Three limpers to me on the button and I raise it up with my K♠ K♣ J♠ T♣. Everyone folds. Respect...
I was a little lost at times playing 6-max PLO. I wasn't too sure how to judge my pre-flop hand values against a smaller field. I think I did alright though. In the end, I was down $1.25 after being up as much as $30 at one point.

After PLO, I settled into another beer and some SNGs at Full Tilt. In my first SNG, I took down third place by bad beating a solid player when my A8 sucked out on his AJ (all-in pre-flop). In my second SNG, I sucked out on another player when my 66 flopped a set against his QQ (all-in pre-flop). Heads-up play in this second SNG lasted one hand. I pushed with QTs and my opponent insta-called with AA.

Considering that I only placed in both SNGs by being extremely lucky, my faith in poker is still somewhat lacking. I guess I made pretty standard pushes and plays in both SNGs. It's just so shocking to see how the random drop of a card can make or break any player at any time. I guess I'm still having trouble seeing the long-run effects of skill over luck in poker. I used to see it...I just don't at the moment.

But hey - I'm not complaining. My bankroll got a nice little boost of just over $20. And I had a good time! And even though I was worried about the effects of Monday night's chips and beer on my planned weight-loss, I was down 13 pounds (31.3 BMI) from my starting weight as of 6:55 AM this morning.

Bankroll's going up, weight's coming down; life is good.



In case you didn't hear the news, check out RakeTheRake and their new PokerStars rakeback deal!

Already have an account with PokerStars? RakeTheRake may be able to help get your account rakeback-enabled!



Have a good one!

No comments: